Sony Corporation has unveiled the first 4K (3840 x 2160) OLED (organic light-emitting diode) television at CES 2013. Sony claims that the TV is the world’s first and largest 56-inch OLED TV achieves 4K resolution by using the latest oxide semiconductor TFTs and Sony’s own ‘Super Top Emission’ technologies.
Up until now, in order to force light through the OLED layer, OLED TVs used low-temperature polysilicon (LTPS) thin-film transistors (TFTs). However, there were some challenges inherent in the manufacture of large OLED displays.
Using oxide semiconductor TFTs Sony has been able to produce this new larger display. The new OLED component’s structure also incorporates Sony’s own ‘Super Top Emission’ technology, which has been incorporated in other products already introduced into the market. This ‘Super Top Emission’ technology has a high aperture ratio and enables light to be extracted efficiently from the structure’s OLED layer.
By combining two Sony developed technologies, Sony has been able to overcome some of these challenges. This prototype delivers all of the features expected from OLED TVs, such as high contrast, brightness, rapid video image response time and rich images produced even at wide viewing angles, all packaged in a large 4K resolution panel.
The OLED panel used in this prototype 4K OLED TV on display at the exhibition was jointly developed with Taiwanese company AU Optronics Corp. (AUO). Sony is not the only one showcasing its 4K TVs at CES 2013. The Korean Giant, Samsung too has unveiled its 85-inch 4K TV at CES 2013. You can read the details of the Samsung S9000 here.
Check out the technical specifications of the exhibited 4K OLED TV prototype:
- Panel size: 56-inch
- Number of pixels: 3,840 x 2,160
- Display elements: OLED (organic light-emitting diode)
- Drive circuit: Oxide semiconductor TFT
- Special structural characteristics: Super Top Emission
- Other Characteristics: undisclosed
Source: Sony Official Blog
Other Popular Deals
- Best 40 and 42 inch LED TV deals under 50,000 Rs in IndiaFive 40 inch LED TVs under Rs. 30,000
- First look: Videocon 4K UHD LED TV with smart featuresFirst look: Philips 4K UHD Ambilight TV
- Top 4K TVs that you can buySamsung H8000 Curved UHD LED TV
- Sony KD-55X9300D 4K HDR: In PicturesLeEco Super3 X55 4K UHD Smart TV: In Pictures
- How to test a TV in a retail storeLG 55" Curved OLED TV
- In Pictures: VU introduces Netflix enabled 4K TVs in India