Reliance Jio and BSNL have signed an intra-circle roaming agreement for 2G and 4G services. According to a PTI report, once the agreement has been finalized, BSNL customers will be able to use Jio’s 4G services when roaming, while Jio subscribers will be able to use BSNL’s 2G network to make voice calls.
BSNL Chairman and Managing Director, Anupam Shrivastava stated, “We are focused on creating value for our customers through expanding our outreach as well as strengthening our network capabilities, especially in terms of quality. This agreement should benefit both our customers and create a strong, seamless support for both the networks.” Just last week, Shrivastava called Jio’s entry into the telecom market a “challenge” for all operators, but expects BSNL to match Jio “tariff-by-tariff.”
This deal also comes at a time when Jio having a tussle with the Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI). As per reports, the COAI had written a letter to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) stating that the incumbent telcos were not obliged to provide interconnect points to Jio. Reliance Chairman, Mukesh Ambani had also criticised the functioning of the association, especially its democratic nature. COAI’s Director-General, Rajan S Mathews responded by saying that the comments made with reference to the functioning of COAI were incorrect and misleading.
Other Popular Deals
- 14 upcoming mobile phones you should expect in India in 2016Best camera phones under Rs. 15,000 (July 2016)
- Best smartphones under Rs. 15,000 with great battery backup10 smartphone sequels to look forward to in 2015
- 10 best smartphones between Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 20,000 [June...26 upcoming & latest smartphones to check-out
- Slimmest phones you can buy in India [June 2015]The best upgrade options for 10 classic smartphones
- Huawei P8: First LookXiaomi Mi4i vs Asus Zenfone 2 (2GB): Quick Comparison
- LG G4: First LookAsus Zenfone 2 and Zenfone Selfie: In Pictures
- Sony's current & upcoming Xperia phones: An OverviewMicromax Canvas Sliver 5: First Look
- Sony Xperia C4: First LookCoolpad Dazen X7 and Dazen 1: In pictures