Reliance Jio, Mukesh Ambani-owned telecom company has crossed 50 million subscriber in less than three months after its consumer rollout. Reliance Jio has now emerged as the largest broadband operator in India.
According to a report by news agency PTI, Reliance Jio has added nearly 1,000 customers per minute since its public availability on September 5 and is adding nearly 6 lakh customers per day. Reliance Jio had confirmed that it had 16 million subscribers in just 26 days after its launch.
"Jio continues to be the fastest growing company in the world and has crossed 50 million subscribers in record 83 days," sources told PTI. It took 12 years for Airtel to reach the same milestone while Vodafone and Idea took 13 years each.
Reliance Jio expanded its 4g services beyond its employees on September 5. The company is competing with the likes of Airtel, Vodafone and Idea by offering a true 4G network. The PTI report says Airtel had 262.67 million subscribers in October while Vodafone and Idea had 201.9 million and 180.25 million subscribers respectively.
"Beating industry estimates, the company has signed up an average of 6 lakh subscribers a day, which is a globally unprecedented feat for any customer-facing company including the likes of Whatsapp, Facebook and Skype," the source pointed out.
In terms of 4G subscribers, Reliance Jio has five times the customer base of Airtel - which has around 10 million subscribers.
Reliance Jio may have gained a lot in terms of subscribers but the rollout has never been anything less than controversial. Initially consumers had issues getting SIM cards with people registering for SIM card at various Reliance Digital stores. Once users started getting their SIM cards, there were multiple tweets and complains about the data speed. Reliance Jio has also accused Airtel and Vodafone for not providing enough interconnect points, leading to several call drops in a day.
Reliance Jio is currently available in the form of 'Free Welcome Offer' with unlimited access to calls and data. The offer is available till the end of December 31 and a recent report indicated that Reliance Jio might extend the free offer till March 31, 2017.
Other Popular Deals
- Best smartphones to buy under Rs. 7,000 in India right now14 upcoming mobile phones you should expect in India in 2016
- 10 smartphone sequels to look forward to in 2015Best smartphones under Rs. 15,000 with great battery backup
- 10 best smartphones between Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 20,000...26 upcoming & latest smartphones to check-out
- Slimmest phones you can buy in India [November 2015]The best upgrade options for 10 classic smartphones
- Huawei P8: First LookXiaomi Mi4i vs Asus Zenfone 2 (2GB): Quick Comparison
- LG G4: First LookAsus Zenfone 2 and Zenfone Selfie: In Pictures
- Sony's current & upcoming Xperia phones: An OverviewMicromax Canvas Sliver 5: First Look
- Sony Xperia C4: First LookCoolpad Dazen X7 and Dazen 1: In pictures