A telecom department panel will submit its recommendations on net neutrality next month after which the government will take a final decision on the issue. The development comes amid heated debate over the net neutrality.
Interestingly, the government has come out in support for the net neutrality. Political leaders including Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal and Telecom Minister Ravishankar Prasad have extended support to the net neutrality. Moreover, there's already online campaigns such as the saveinternet.org going on in support of net neutrality.
"We feel that the Internet is the creation of human mind. Internet should have linkages to the common man in a non-discriminatory manner,” Prasad is quoted as saying.
Here's a viral video in support of net neutrality:
Debate about net neutrality triggered in India after Airtel launched an Airtel Zero initiative that gave users free access to apps associated with the initiative – many believed the programme is against the concept net neutrality. Moreover, the telecom regulatory authority of India (TRAI) has already floated a consultation paper on the issue.
Even as majority of netizens are supporting net neutrality, telecom operators have repeatedly pointed out the revenue losses they have suffered because of the OTT players. Airtel, however, has said in a detailed response how the Airtel Zero is not against the net neutrality. Here's the Airtel response on the issue.
Meanwhile, read our take on net neutrality – So, what's the deal with net neutrality? Also, check out a different take on the issue by TeleAnalysis - An Analogy Why Net Neutrality, Airtel Zero Don’t Cross Path
Other Popular Deals
- Best smartphones to buy under Rs. 7,000 in India right now14 upcoming mobile phones you should expect in India in 2016
- 10 smartphone sequels to look forward to in 2015Best smartphones under Rs. 15,000 with great battery backup
- 10 best smartphones between Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 20,000...26 upcoming & latest smartphones to check-out
- Slimmest phones you can buy in India [November 2015]The best upgrade options for 10 classic smartphones
- Huawei P8: First LookXiaomi Mi4i vs Asus Zenfone 2 (2GB): Quick Comparison
- LG G4: First LookAsus Zenfone 2 and Zenfone Selfie: In Pictures
- Sony's current & upcoming Xperia phones: An OverviewMicromax Canvas Sliver 5: First Look
- Sony Xperia C4: First LookCoolpad Dazen X7 and Dazen 1: In pictures