Drop everything. There's another iPad rumour. According to Digitimes, Apple will unveil not one, but two new iPads next month.
Citing "sources and supply chain partners," Digitimes said the two devices will be revealed next month at iWorld, an annual Apple expo. The site, a frequent Apple rumor monger, said the new tablets will target mid-range and high-end price segments, leaving the IPad 2 to compete with the Kindle Fire in the "price-sensitive market segment."
It also alleged that both new iPads will feature 9.7-inch, high-res 1,536-by-2,048 pixel displays, with panels supplied mostly from Sharp, as well as some from Samsung and LG. However, previous reports have indicated that Apple will produce a 7.85-inch iPad.
Apple will reportedly kick up the processing speed for these next iPads, adding quad-core A6 processors, Digitimes said.
Much like the iPhone 4S, the duo of new iPads will supposedly get upgraded cameras. Digtimes alleged that one will have a 5-megapixel camera from Samsung and another will have an 8-megapixel lens supplied by Sony.
We've entered a post-iPhone news cycle, when iPad rumors are surfacing with full force. But Digitimes reports should be taken with a grain of salt. For example, last spring it was often reported that Apple would release two models of the iPhone, and sure enough, in October, only one iPhone appeared.
Of course the launch date has been discussed quite a bit, as it goes with an anticipated Apple device. Recently, the Economic Times claimed Apple would debut the device on Feb. 24, Steve Jobs's birthday. Others have called for an early 2012 launch, as well as a March reveal.
But the reality with an Apple gadget is that we'll have to wait and see. What do you want out of the third iPad? Tell us in the comments.
- Apple's redesigned iPhone rumoured to be launched in fall 2012
- Apple may use fuel cells to power iOS and Mac portable devices
- Apple rumoured to be making 7.85-inch Mini-iPad
- Apple announces iTunes v10.5.2, fixes audio distortion bug
Copyright © 2010 Ziff Davis Publishing Holdings Inc.
Other Popular Deals
- In Pictures: Asus ZenFone Selfie, ZenPad, Zen AiOFirst Impressions: Micromax Canvas Laptab
- Comparsion: Mi Pad vs Nexus 9 vs iPad Mini 3Top 10 Android tablets with voice/3G support under Rs....
- First Look: HP Pro series, ElitePad tablets and othersAt a glance: Digiflip Pro range of tablets from Flipkart
- Nexus 9: A look at Google's new tabletHands On: Huawei Honor X1
- Hands-on: Dell's ultra-thin Venue 8 tablet with Intel Real...Unboxing: DIGITAB DT-LM72T - Digisol's first Android tablet
- Asus Fonepad 7XOLO Play Tegra Note Tab
- Computex 2014: Dell Venue 8 Android tabletApple iPad Air 2 vs. Google Nexus 9: Specs comparison
- Unboxing: MOSTI Chhota Bheem Tab (for kids)iberry Auxus CoreX2 3G budget Android tablet