Microsoft is working on a Linux-based operating system, the Azure Cloud Switch (ACS). The announcement was made through an official blog post by Kamala Subramaniam, Principal Architect of Azure Networking. As per the post, the ACS is a “cross-platform modular operating system for data center networking built on Linux.”
The blog post mentions that there are various types of switch hardware platforms available in the market. It states the difficulty to configure hardware with completely different types of software. To tackle this, it has come up with the Linux-based ACS. It will provide a unified platform for running different types of networking devices with the same software. It will also enable the company to debug more efficiently. Further, ACS believes in Open Networking, and this will enable it to "use and extend" Open Souce, Microsoft, and Third Party applications. The blog post concluded by mentioning that Microsoft decided to talk about ACS in public because the company believes in the approach of separating the switch software from switch hardware to gain popularity in the networking industry.
The software is not aimed at general PCs and laptops, and only aimed at enterprise and cloud-based services. It is not the first time that Microsoft is using rival technologies. Earlier this year, the Redmond-based company had announced its partnership with Cyanogen, where the custom ROM-maker will distribute various Microsoft apps and services. Additionally, it was reported yesterday that Cyanogen is reportedly working on deeper integration of Microsoft’s virtual assistant, Cortana, into Cyanogen OS.
Other Popular Deals
- Best smartphones to buy under Rs. 7,000 in India right now14 upcoming mobile phones you should expect in India in 2016
- 10 smartphone sequels to look forward to in 2015Best smartphones under Rs. 15,000 with great battery backup
- 10 best smartphones between Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 20,000...26 upcoming & latest smartphones to check-out
- Slimmest phones you can buy in India [November 2015]The best upgrade options for 10 classic smartphones
- Huawei P8: First LookXiaomi Mi4i vs Asus Zenfone 2 (2GB): Quick Comparison
- LG G4: First LookAsus Zenfone 2 and Zenfone Selfie: In Pictures
- Sony's current & upcoming Xperia phones: An OverviewMicromax Canvas Sliver 5: First Look
- Sony Xperia C4: First LookCoolpad Dazen X7 and Dazen 1: In pictures