Sony Xperia Z3 Rating 84100
The Xperia Z3 maintains Sony's pedigree of great smartphones and while it does not come with any major changes when compared to the Z2, it is still a worthy flagship smartphone. It has some minor upgrades which makes it better than the Z2 and it also comes with a best in class camera and great battery life. The performance capability of the smartphone is immense and is at par with the other flagship smartphones. Would we recommend the Xperia Z3? Definitely.
- Great battery life
- Waterproof and dust proof certified
- Excellent camera with 4K recording
- Glossy design makes it slippery
- Not a huge update from its predecessor
Sony Xperia Z3: Detailed Review
Six months ago Sony announced its flagship smartphone, the Xperia Z2 and bang on time we now have the Xperia Z3. With such a small time gap Sony has proved that it can indeed provide a flagship device every six months. But how much of an improvement is the Z3 over the Z2? Let's find out.
-Display: 5.2-inch, 1920x1080 resolution Triluminos display with X-Reality (424ppi)
-Storage: 16/32GB, expandable upto 128GB via microSD
-Camera: 20.7MP rear with LED flash, front 2.2MP
-SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 MSM8974AC
-CPU: 2.5GHz quad-core
-GPU: Adreno 330
-Operating system: Android 4.4.4
-Connectivity: 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC
BUILD AND DESIGN
The Z2 was somewhat disappointing for Sony since it didn’t acheive great sales. With the Z3, Sony hasn't improved a lot, rather it maintains its sleek design with minor changes here and there. You still get the front and back glass panels with a metal frame in between. The frame however is now more curved and feels better than the Z2's. The front has the same 5.2-inch full HD display but this time Sony has improved on the panel and brings in a brand new display that offers 600-nits brightness, which Sony claims is the brightest display on any smartphone. Well, we agree. The display is actually quite bright and colours pop out almost like on an AMOLED panel. We get the same dual stereo speakers like the Z2 and a brand new round LED notification light on the top left.
The edges are now more curved and subtle. Even the flaps that cover the ports and slots blend in well with the rest of the body. The left edge houses the microUSB port covered with a flap and below it is the magnetic charging dock port. There is also a slot to attach a lanyard strap. The right edge has a larger flap that covers the microSD card slot and the nano SIM card slot. The rest is quite similar to most of the Xperia devices including a round power/lock key, the volume rocker keys and the camera shutter release key. The 3.5mm audio jack is on the top along with a microphone hole for recording videos. The back is exactly the same as the Z2 with the 20.7MP camera, an LED flash, Sony branding and also the NFC logo.
For the ones hoping for a design facelift, you might not be happy as the Z3 is not that different from its predecessor. The Xperia Z3 follows Sony's tradition of a slick looking smartphone and again we have a slippery device that tends to slip away from your hand. The glass in the front and back is not entirely scratch proof, but Sony claims that it is definitely shatterproof. It does feel quite large in the hand although the bezels are not that wide. Of course you get waterproof and dust proof IP68 rating, which is an upgrade from the IP58 on the Z2.
UI AND PERFORMANCE
The Xperia Z3 runs on Android 4.4.4 KitKat, with a slightly refreshed UI from Sony. There are some new themes, widgets and also a few new wallpapers. Compared to the Z2, you will see a minor difference although it still has the familiar Sony look. The updated UI is definitely smoother and much more stable than on older Xperia devices running on an older build of 4.4.4. The Z3 comes loaded with the expected Sony apps including Album, Movies, Walkman, Backup and Restore, Lifelog, Sony Select, Socialife, TrackID and, of course, the PlayStation app. This app lets you log into the PlayStation Network, keep a tab on your profile and lets you connect and play PlayStation 4 games on the smartphone.
In the performance department, we have a Snapdragon 801 SoC which is clocked higher than what we had seen on the Z2. (2.5Ghz vs 2.3GHz) along with 3GB of RAM and an Adreno 330 GPU. With such high end hardware chances of apps crashing is almost nil. HD content looks brilliant and sharp and even high end games are a piece of cake for the Z3.
Benchmark scores showed that the Z3 is not a game changer, but it does manage to score at par with all the latest flagship smartphones in the market. Check out the benchmark scores below:
The battery is now rated at 3100mAH is a bit lower than on the Z2. So, does it hamper the battery life? Well, you would be surprised that it has actually increased and we got one and half day of backup on normal day to day usage. Sony however claims that you can get a backup of 2 full days. We also played a full HD video on full brightness for 1 hour and saw a drop of 15%.
As we mentioned, Sony has done some minor changes. It has addressed some of the small issues that were seen on the Z2 and the Z1. The speakers are now much louder than before. The Walkman app has some extensive sound settings including a set of profiles made exclusively for Sony earphones. Even in video playback, the Z3 managed to play every video format we threw at it.
While we can't say its a huge update from the Z2, but it is definitely a good effort by Sony.
The Xperia Z3 yet again comes with a 20.7MP sensor along with G-lens, which was first seen on the Z1. There aren’t any huge improvements in the camera department however Sony claims that it has improved on the ISO levels with a maximum boost of 12800. The camera app has improved and feels faster and more responsive. There are some new modes including Sound Photo (which can record a short audio clip along with a still image), Face in (which takes a picture in picture by using the front and back cameras) and Multi camera (which connects other Xperia or NFC enabled devices like the QX lens and controls them). The camera app also warns you to close the app in case the device heats up.
Pictures produced are really good and have accurate colours. In daylight, pictures are sharp and offers a decent depth. There has been a slight improvement in low light and it is definitely one of the best cameras we have seen on a smartphone. The autofocus and shutter speeds are fast and the auto-white balance is pretty accurate. Here are some sample shots taken in the auto mode (8MP):
Video recording is great especially 4K which produces some really crisp looking videos. Of course these videos take up a lot of space and making long videos could be an issue as the smartphone starts heating up.
The Sony Xperia Z3 is not a huge update when compared to the Xperia Z2, but it is certainly one of the best flagship smartphones. A sleek design, an excellent camera, and a great battery life really makes the Z3 worth the price. Other flagship smartphones that you could look out for are the HTC One M8, Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 6.
- Sony Xperia Z2, Z3, Z3 Compact updated to Android Marshmallow
Sony has started rolling out the Android Marshmallow v6.0 update for the Xperia Z3, Z3 Compact, Z2 smartphone, and Z2...04 - May - 2016
- Sony Xperia Z2, Z3 & Z3 Compact start receiving Android M update
The Sony Xperia Z2, Z3 and Z3 Compact were due to get the Android Marshmallow update and Sony has finally started...11 - Apr - 2016
- Sony lists devices receiving Android Nougat update
Sony has announced its list of Xperia devices scheduled to receive the Android Nougat update. The company published the...24 - Aug - 2016
- Top 15 deals on Flipkart's Big App Shopping days
Sony Xperia Z Ultra Offer Price: Rs. 13,999 Sony's ultra large Xperia Z Ultra smartphone seems to be loved by...22 - Jun - 2015
- 10 phones under 30k for gaming
Sony Xperia Z3 Price: 34,900 SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 CPU: Quad-core 2.5GHz GPU: Adreno 330 RAM:...11 - May - 2015
- Best value for money smartphones for all price ranges
Price range: Rs. 35,000-45,000 Sony Xperia Z3 Sony has been refreshing its range of smartphones every 6 months...06 - Feb - 2015
Latest Forum discussions on Sony Xperia Z3
- Sony xperia z3 tablet compact
While Apple outed its lackluster ipad mini 3, Sony has come up with a winner in its new Z3 Compact tablet and it smokes the ipad in terms of battery life. Web browsing of 18hrs and video playback of 13 hours. [B]Key features[/B] Optional 3G and 4G LTE (Cat. 3, 150Mbps) 8" 16M-color capacitive touchscreen Triluminos display, 1,920 x...
- $hadow29/10/2014Will cost about 35k+
- Sony xperia z3 vs samsung galaxy note 4?
Which one have good display sunlight readability?
- $hadow03/12/2014In sunlight amoled are not the best screen to choose. They are hardly visible in direct sunlight.
- Rockstar1103/12/2014[QUOTE=$hadow;2184486]In sunlight amoled are not the best screen to choose. They are hardly visible in direct sunlight.[/QUOTE] Thanks so sony z3 is best? What about nokia lumia ClearBlack display?
- $hadow03/12/2014[QUOTE=Rockstar11;2184540]Thanks so sony z3 is best? What about nokia lumia ClearBlack display?[/QUOTE] you should check out phoneareana review for the devices you are looking to buy in-order to get the display details you want. Hope I helped.
- Sony xperia sp vs sony xperia m2
Guys now i had extended my budget to 16K.So, now I'm thinking which phone should i buy.Please do suggest if you can. [B]My Questionnaire[/B] [B]1. Budget?[/B] 16K [B]2. Display type and size?[/B] Touchscreen, Should not be more than 4.8 inches. [B]3. Dual sim?[/B] Not neccessary.but will prefer a dual sim phone. [B] 4....
- Saiyangoku14/10/2014better buy Moto X or Xperia ZR SP won't get Kitkat :facepalm: and M2 is overpriced (should've been at 8k)
- Ashs114/10/2014Yeah.. If your main usage is camera, check out the galaxy grand prime.. It has a pretty good camera, decent specs, but the TouchWiz might hamper your experience. Don't expect neither Samsung nor Sony (specially) to provide updates for the next 2-3 years. Sp has reached eol and won't be receiving updates.. Expect eol for m2 around Mar-April ...
- Theserpent14/10/2014Redmi 1S/Moto G(Snapdragon 400) + (a brand name of SONY/LG ) - A crappy display + 5-10k = Give you almost the entire crappy phone from 14k-30k(All sony phones upto that budget,LG G3 Beat,S5 mini)
- Sony xperia l or sony xperia tx ? confusion !!!
So guys should I am buying a new cellphone, and have decided on the Xperia L. But then I saw the Xperia TX, and now I am terribly confused. I have doubts over the Xperia TX's GPU (Adreno 225), and it does cost 5k more. So ? What should I do ? L or the TX ?
- Adimax15/06/2013TX mil Kahan raha hai?
- Mastercool869515/06/2013and how come you get confused between two phones with different proccys, camera, screensize, resolution, (almost all of the other specs too.) ??? :rolleyes: and for buying queries, fill up the [URL="http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/buying-advice/134349-questionnaire-mobile-phone-purchase-queries.html"]Questionnaire[/URL]
- Ztr15/06/2013TX cause better screen,cam and Dev support
- Sony xperia u or sony ericsson xperia ray?
guys i have to buy a phone this week.i've sorted out two phones.the [B]xperia u[/B] and [B]ericcson xperia ray[/B]. could you suggest me which one i should go for? the U has no memory card slot and the ray is not supported by sony anymore,also ray has 3.3 inch display compared to 3.5 of xperia u. also the dual core issue-U has it ,ray...
- Aroraanant26/01/2013Rather get Xperia J or Sola. And Desire X is also available for around 16k so that is also a very good buy.
- Randomuser11126/01/2013Neither. Get Sola or Desire X.
- Flawed26/01/2013but both of them dont have a secondary camera