Sony Xperia M2 Dual Rating 0100
The Xperia M2 Dual is an average device from a manufacturer who is otherwise quite consistent. The price tag on the device is way too high for the features of the device. It is hard to recommend this device in the competitive mid-ranged smartphone market.
- Battery last one day and more under regular usage.
- Performs well even when used for resource intensive games.
- Good build quality and overall good looking smartphone.
- Camera quality is dissapointing.
- Cheaper smartphones have better displays.
- UI is sluggish.
Sony Xperia M2 Dual: Detailed Review
Japanese smartphone maker Sony has rolled out quite a few quality devices under its Xperia brand. The flagship Xperia Z series has received good reviews from users and experts alike. But not all of the company’s devices are quite as good. Some unfortunately are quite average. Point in fact is the Xperia M2 Dual smartphone, which we recently got in our hands.
Design and Build
Sony has been riding the wave with their much appreciated ‘omnibalance’ design, which continues with the Xperia M2 Dual. The device has a 4.8-inch TFT capacitative display, with glass finishes on both the front and back. In addition, it offers a good grip with the rubberised sides that Sony has used on the smartphone. The device looks good overall, but it is a fingerprint magnet, like many other Sony smartphones.
The M2 Dual has all its buttons placed on the right side, which consists of the camera, power on/off and volume rocker buttons. Also on the right side is the dual-SIM slot. On the top you will find the 3.5-mm jack for headphones, while the micro-SD and charging ports are placed on the left side of the smartphone.
It is an ergonomically built device, which despite its size doesn’t feel block-like. Neither does the Xperia M2 Dual disappoint in terms of its weight. At 148 grams, the device isn’t the heaviest in its range and feels comfortable in your hand and pocket.
Display and UI
This is where the Xperia M2 Dual suffers its first setback. For about Rs 5,000 less, the Moto G smartphone brings you a IPS HD display, which is much better than this one, albeit smaller in size. The TFT display offers a resolution of 540x960, while the Moto G brings you 720x1280 pixels. That said, the screen isn’t all that bad either and gives good outdoor visibility, while lacking from some viewing angles.
(L-R) Home Screen, App Drawer
(L-R) Settings Screen, App Drawer Settings
Moving to the UI, Sony has always been minimalistic in terms of the amount of layering it does on Android. But looking at the big changes coming to Android, the company should be bringing in some changes to its UI soon. On the M2 Dual, the UI is often sluggish, even under regular use. The device currently comes with the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS, but is expected to receive the update to KitKat soon.
This is one area where the phone surprised us. The Adreno 305 GPU performs well with games like Dead Trigger 2, running them smoothly and without lags. In addition, the device doesn’t heat up very easily, allowing for extended gaming, even when the processor and GPU are put under a lot of stress.
In the 3D Mark Ice Storm Unlimited benchmark test, the device scored 4,734, while AnTuTu X benchmark returned scores of 17,311. Quadrant Standard and Smartbench both returned scored of 8,507 and 5,348 respectively.
Perhaps the biggest disappointment with the Xperia M2 Dual is its camera. Sony has been known for its camera technology, providing very good cameras on earlier devices. The Xperia M2 Dual’s 8 MP camera on the other hand, doesn’t live up to the standards that the company itself has set.
There’s a lot of colour noise in pictures clicked, even in proper light conditions. Under low light conditions, the camera is even more disappointing. Considering the fact that many users buy Sony simply for its cameras, this is a major shortcoming. Add to that the fact that the front camera is of VGA quality and you do have to wonder how this device justifies its price tag.
From bad to good, the Xperia M2 Dual’s strength lies in its battery. It took us one and a half hours of full HD video viewing, half an hour of resource intensive gaming and half an hour of camera usage to get the device down to 50% from a previously fully charged battery. Under regular usage, it lasted us throughout the day quite easily. Don’t be surprised if it gives you more than that either. In this area, it is definitely a job well done by Sony.
The Xperia M2 Dual is a blemish in Sony's otherwise commendable track record with smartphones. The company seems to have given less though to this device and could have at least chosen a lower price for it.
Where to buy
- Sony lists devices receiving Android Nougat update
Sony has announced its list of Xperia devices scheduled to receive the Android Nougat update. The company published the...24 - Aug - 2016
- Sony Xperia X Compact, Xperia XZ to be unveiled at IFA
Earlier today, the two unannounced Sony phones called the Xperia XZ and the Xperia X Compact was apparently listed...26 - Aug - 2016
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua, water-resistant mid-range smartphone unveiled
Sony has introduced yet another dust and water-resistant smartphone called the Xperia M2 Aqua. The new Sony smartphone...19 - Aug - 2014
Latest Forum discussions on Sony Xperia M2 Dual
- Sony xperia sp vs sony xperia m2
Guys now i had extended my budget to 16K.So, now I'm thinking which phone should i buy.Please do suggest if you can. [B]My Questionnaire[/B] [B]1. Budget?[/B] 16K [B]2. Display type and size?[/B] Touchscreen, Should not be more than 4.8 inches. [B]3. Dual sim?[/B] Not neccessary.but will prefer a dual sim phone. [B] 4....
- Saiyangoku14/10/2014better buy Moto X or Xperia ZR SP won't get Kitkat :facepalm: and M2 is overpriced (should've been at 8k)
- Ashs114/10/2014Yeah.. If your main usage is camera, check out the galaxy grand prime.. It has a pretty good camera, decent specs, but the TouchWiz might hamper your experience. Don't expect neither Samsung nor Sony (specially) to provide updates for the next 2-3 years. Sp has reached eol and won't be receiving updates.. Expect eol for m2 around Mar-April ...
- Theserpent14/10/2014Redmi 1S/Moto G(Snapdragon 400) + (a brand name of SONY/LG ) - A crappy display + 5-10k = Give you almost the entire crappy phone from 14k-30k(All sony phones upto that budget,LG G3 Beat,S5 mini)
- Sony xperia m2 aqua
When will Sony Xperia M2 Aqua release in india.What will be the price of it. as Sony Xperia zr is available at 18K and it is much better than sony m2 aqua.
- Sony xperia l or sony xperia tx ? confusion !!!
So guys should I am buying a new cellphone, and have decided on the Xperia L. But then I saw the Xperia TX, and now I am terribly confused. I have doubts over the Xperia TX's GPU (Adreno 225), and it does cost 5k more. So ? What should I do ? L or the TX ?
- Adimax15/06/2013TX mil Kahan raha hai?
- Mastercool869515/06/2013and how come you get confused between two phones with different proccys, camera, screensize, resolution, (almost all of the other specs too.) ??? :rolleyes: and for buying queries, fill up the [URL="http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/buying-advice/134349-questionnaire-mobile-phone-purchase-queries.html"]Questionnaire[/URL]
- Ztr15/06/2013TX cause better screen,cam and Dev support
- Sony xperia u or sony ericsson xperia ray?
guys i have to buy a phone this week.i've sorted out two phones.the [B]xperia u[/B] and [B]ericcson xperia ray[/B]. could you suggest me which one i should go for? the U has no memory card slot and the ray is not supported by sony anymore,also ray has 3.3 inch display compared to 3.5 of xperia u. also the dual core issue-U has it ,ray...
- Aroraanant26/01/2013Rather get Xperia J or Sola. And Desire X is also available for around 16k so that is also a very good buy.
- Randomuser11126/01/2013Neither. Get Sola or Desire X.
- Flawed26/01/2013but both of them dont have a secondary camera
- Sony xperia arc s or sony xperia p
I am confused between the two. Both available for almost the same price on ebay considering my budget of 15-16k. I am getting inclined towards xperia arc s and plan to install CyanogenMod 10.1 on it. Please advice...
- Navpreetsingh45921/12/2012I found the Sony Xperia P to be more attractive than Xperia ArC S as one of room mates is using the Xperia P and I have used the mobile at times as well so as per me u should go for Xperia P
- Vamsi_krishna21/12/2012Xperia P. Hands down. But keep in mind, those deals doesn't come Manufacturer warranty. You are stuck the with Seller Warranty.
- Bhushan2k21/12/2012xperia p..better hardware + official jelly bean update + it will get better dev support than arc s in future..
- Is sony xperia m2 dual is 4g ?
- Which smartphone should i buy sony xperia m2 dual or samsung grand 2
- Which mobile phone is better sony xperia c4 dual or sony xperia m4 aqa dual?
- I`ve bought a new sony xperia t2 ultra dual......ma question is ...is this phablet is upgradable to kitkat
- How i can move apps in external meomory in my sony xperia m