Microsoft Lumia 640 Dual SIM Rating 61100
The Microsoft Lumia 640 is a decent attempt by the company, but it falters in the face of stiff competition from more affordable Android counterparts. An inferior hardware package combined with an underdeveloped app ecosystem make this phone just another option for the budget buyer. Maybe the upcoming Windows 10 update will bring some new life to the Lumia range but till then the Lumia 640 is only meant for Windows Phone loyalists.
- Nice display
- Good rear camera
- Sturdy build
- Windows lack good third party apps
- Performance is average
Microsoft Lumia 640 Dual SIM: Detailed Review
Microsoft's Lumia series hasn't seen any major success but at least they are trying to compete, unlike Blackberry. Microsoft are now releasing new phones more often. The company is also trying to bank on its upcoming operating system, Windows 10, to lure in customers. The latest Lumia twins 640 and 640XL bring the same promise. While the Lumia 640XL did not live up to our expectations, will the Lumia 640 offer a better experience? Let's find out.
Typical Lumia build
Lumia phones have always offered good build quality as far back as I remember. The Microsoft Lumia 640XL was a well built phone and so is its smaller brother. Both phones share the same polycarbonate shell material making the phone sturdy for its price. The matte black one I reviewed is preferable to other glossy coloured backs the phone comes in. However, the phone does pick up fingerprints very easily and requires a wipe every now and then. Overall I am pleased by the design and build quality of the phone and hope to see similar or better build quality from other manufacturers of budget phones.
Display and UI
Like its build quality, the 5-inch IPS LCD doesn't disappoint. The clear black display really works, providing vivid and saturated colours across the panel. The screen has a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels which takes the ppi count very near to the 300 mark (294 ppi). The display also gets Gorilla Glass 3 protection and is crisp enough for whatever content you want to view, wherever you want to view it but I still felt that it was slightly dimmer than expected.
Coming to the UI, you won’t be able to tell instantly which version of Windows it runs but that’s how Windows is. However, the new 8.1 Denim update that the Lumia 640 runs has brought some good changes like the Glance screen which, in addition to showing a clock, adds support for notifications as well. The tile based UI still runs smooth as ever. I really appreciate how all Windows Phones across the price chart offer the same level of smoothness in the way their UI works. However, I will say it again that the lack of quality third party or even native apps still hurts the OS. Maybe the upcoming Windows 10 will have a solution for this problem.
The Microsoft Lumia 640 is not a performer since it relies on an upgraded Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 SoC, which falls short on performance when compared to newer SoCs like the Snapdragon 615 or the 410, but is still enough to make the core UI and apps runs smoothly. Lumia phones, specifically in the budget segment, have never been about performance and setting benchmarks but neither can any Android counterpart offer such a smooth UI in the budget segment. In essence, the Lumia 640 will run all applications available in the Windows Store, albeit with slower load times.
In-call quality and signal reception are just short of excellent. The audio quality is also good whether you plug in headphones or just play music via the back speaker.
Camera and Battery
The camera has been a sweet spot for Lumia phones in the past and the Lumia 640 is no different. Just like its sibling, the Lumia 640 XL, the Lumia 640 also boasts a good camera but instead of the 13MP sensor we saw on the 640XL, it's satisfied with an 8MP one. So, the pictures taken by the Lumia 640 are not as good as the Lumia 640XL but are good enough considering its price. Photos shot by the 640 show accurate colour reproduction and saturation. Dynamic range is also respectable which puts it very close to the 8MP camera we saw on the Xiaomi Redmi 2.
I found the 2500mAh battery pack on the Lumia 640 quite impressive because it easily lasted me a day of normal usage without any hiccups. That said I could have gotten more out of the battery if I would have turned the Glance screen off. In our video loop test the Lumia 640 recorded a 12% drop in an hour of screen on time at full brightness. This combined with my real world usage boils down to 7-8 hours of usage which is good enough.
The Lumia 640 is a decent attempt from Microsoft in the budget segment. It tries to put up a fight against the budget segment Android smartphones but loses out mostly because it can't offer the same performance as lower priced Android phones like the Yu Yureka and the Xiaomi Redmi 2. Microsoft’s upcoming Windows 10 update could save the day when it comes out in due time and with the right features but till then, the Lumia 640 is only meant for Windows Phone lovers or first time smartphone buyers.
- Microsoft announces Lumia 640, 640XL at MWC 2015
Microsoft has announced the Lumia 640 and 640XL smartphones at the MWC 2015 trade show in Barcelona. The devices...02 - Mar - 2015
- Microsoft Lumia 640 and 640XL launched in India
Microsoft today launched its Lumia 640 and 640XL smartphones in India. The new smartphones are priced at Rs. Rs. 11,999...07 - Apr - 2015
- Microsoft Lumia 540 Dual SIM smartphone unveiled
Microsoft has announced another entry level smartphone- the Lumia 540 Dual SIM priced at $150 (roughly Rs. 9,361). The...15 - Apr - 2015
- 15 latest phones in India that you should know about (April 2015)
Microsoft Lumia 640 Price: Rs. 11,999 SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 CPU: Quad-core 1.2Ghz RAM: 1GB Display...10 - Apr - 2015
- Microsoft Lumia 640 & 640XL: First impressions of newly launched Lumia phones
Build and Design Being a phablet, the Lumia 640XL is of course the bigger of the two phones, but both retain the...08 - Apr - 2015
- The best compact smartphones that you can buy today
Microsoft Lumia 640 The Microsoft Lumia 640 is one of the latest additions to the Lumia family in the budget...28 - Apr - 2015
Latest Forum discussions on Microsoft Lumia 640 Dual SIM
- Microsoft launches lumia 640, 640 xl smartphones in india starting at rs 11,999
I am wondering why haven't anyone posted about this yet. [QUOTE]Microsoft unveiled the Lumia 640 and Lumia 640 XL smartphones at Mobile World Congress this year and has now, launched these devices in India. The Lumia 640 is priced at Rs 11,999 while the Lumia 640 XL is priced at Rs 15,799 respectively. Both these devices will be available...
- Lenny10/04/2015You're the first one buddy! Thanks for posting :)
- Asus zenfone 2 ze551ml 2gb/ microsoft lumia 640 xl dual sim- anyone have any camera samples?
Which one should I buy? [B]ASUS Zenfone 2 ze551ml 2GB[/B] or [B]Microsoft Lumia 640 XL Dual SIM[/B]? We android user always feel the urge to install MX player, notification toggle, and customizable launchers like APEX/ NOVA etc. I also use runastic apps. Also I love jetaudio to play music while I do some reading (PDF), or gaming (puzzles...
- Kkn1316/05/2015WP:- UI cant be customised with gestures however stock UI itself is so well made,you wont need customisation Id say out of all OS's ive used id say Lollipop has the worst UI and WP has the best in terms of practicality and usability as for camera,Any Lumia will beat its android counterparts in every way especially low light only a few...
- D3b16/05/2015Thanks for your opinion mate, I'll hopefully go for lumia then. You know, I even used Asus P320 (windows 6.5-7.1) and I was a fan of start menu, ie6, media player and all. I will watch for the price tag, and buy it then ( flip cover and screen protector for extra :)).
- Kkn1316/05/2015[QUOTE=d3b;2226762]Thanks for your opinion mate, I'll hopefully go for lumia then. You know, I even used Asus P320 (windows 6.5-7.1) and I was a fan of start menu, ie6, media player and all. I will watch for the price tag, and buy it then ( flip cover and screen protector for extra :)).[/QUOTE] happy to help :)
- Microsoft lumia 640 earphone problem
Getting a weird problem on my Microsoft Lumia 640 from yesterday. Problem: When headphone/earphone was plugged in, the sound was not audible. Tried different earphone but no success. But when I call on my number with earphone plugged in, the sound is audible but only on right one. It might be a software bug or port is faulty? Anyone facing...
- Skud13/08/2015Functioning properly with my RE-0. Looks like RMA time.
- Tenida13/08/2015Then I think my port is defective. Need to visit the service center.
- $hadow14/08/2015Time to visit service center. :mrgreen:
- Lumia 640 or lumia 730?
Hi, I want to buy a Lumia phone for my girlfriend within 15K budget. Basically two Lumias are available in this segment, Lumia 730 and Lumia 640. But I am confused about which one to buy. Please suggest based on hands on experience of the phones. What I think is the advantages of both the phones are listed below. Advantages of Lumia...
- The.one08/04/2015730 for the display and cameras.
- Shah09/04/2015@OP Lumia 730 will also get Windows 10 mobile for sure. SO, don't worry about the update. IMO, Lumia 730 is a better buy than Lumia 640 at the current price point. 640 is just launched. Give it some time, the price will fall to sub-10K
- Bssunilreddy09/04/2015[QUOTE=the.one;2216826]730 for the display and cameras.[/QUOTE] +100 to this.
- Non-magnetic flip cover (w/wo stand) for lumia 640 xl dual sim
Lumia 640xl is awesome. And GPS works great(really). And a magnetic flip cover pretty much messes up the calibration. I ordered a leather flip cover from amazon and the magnet always interferes with Maps. Is there any good flip cover without magnets anyone knows about? With stand will be a plus. Thanks in advance. :)
- Shankj23/06/2015You'l get loads of non-magnetic flip cover at any of the local vendors for pretty cheap.
- D3b23/06/2015I've seen those flip covers around Rs 200 in local market. I'm searching for some good quality flip covers (with stand if possible)- not too bulky, not that cheap. Thanks anyways. [QUOTE=ShankJ;2237628]You'l get loads of non-magnetic flip cover at any of the local vendors for pretty cheap.[/QUOTE]
- Kkn1325/06/2015I highly suggest a silicone case + toughened glass screen protector flip covers are cumbersome,awkward to use and despite contrary belief,silicone cases provide better protection
- When will be microsoft lumia 640 dual sim available in india for sale?
- Which phone is better moto-e or nokia lumia 530 dual sim...??
- Dual sim smartphone s4 mini or lumia.?
- Buying lumia 525 was a mistake or good over lumia 630 dual sim
- When nokia 130 dual sim (provided by microsoft) will launch in india ?