LG G3 Stylus Rating 66100
The LG G3 Stylus has the right design, a good camera, a tried and tested UI but below average performance and that is what drags the phablet down. Instead of standing tall as the budget go to phablet with a stylus, it remains LG’s lost opportunity.
- Tried and tested design
- Good camera
- Poor performance
- Poor screen quality
- Useless stylus
LG G3 Stylus: Detailed Review
The LG G3 Stylus shares the same design and aesthetic DNA of the LG G3 but the similarities end there. What the G3 Stylus brings to the table is a stylus and a large but low res 5.5 inch screen. It made us wonder if this phone can cut it as a Samsung Galaxy Note Neo alternative. Let’s find out.
Design and Build
The design of the LG G3 Stylus is quite similar to what we saw on the LG G3 and LG G3 Beat. From the first glance, the LG G3 Stylus looks exactly the same as the LG G3 with its large 5.5 inch screen and the same can be said about the back as well except that the G3 Stylus has a stylus slot at the top.
The 5.5-inch phablet has a decent build just like the LG G3 Beat with a similar plastic body construction with a metal band running around it. The device is nice to hold but will require two hands to make the phablet completely usable.
Display and UI
The display is the biggest disappointment on the phone since LG has gone with a 540 x 960p resolution on a 5.5-inch IPS LCD panel, which, as a result, looks washed out. Since the screen size is large, you can easily see pixels on the screen thus making it unsuitable for reading purposes. The screen is a fingerprint magnet and viewing angles of the phablet are not great either.
LG’s highly customised UI, which has trickled down from the LG G3, runs on the LG Stylus. The UI is easy to use and has a gentle and short learning curve, helped by the constant prompt notifications on how to use the device.
Coming to the performance, it is a bigger disappointment than the low-res screen. The LG G3 Stylus is only usable when you use it for conventional purposes like calling, watching a video or combing through mail. The device struggles to get close to similarly priced devices and does heat up if you push it. During our review we observed that the device started to heat up as soon as we started the camera or tried to play a graphically intensive game.
Talking about the stylus, LG has included a rubber point stylus in the device which has no purpose apart from being used as another method to interact with the phablet. The G3 Stylus doesn't have any dedicated apps so that you can exploit the included stylus. The dual-window mode works with a select set of apps and is not implemented properly since we were able to make the phone freeze a couple of times when we tested the feature.
Call quality is decent on the device but the loudspeaker at the back does sound muted. We were able to watch 1080p HD videos on the device without any glitches or frame drops. The audio quality and volume are also on the lower side of the scale. Overall performance is poor on the LG G3 Stylus. Also, take a look at the comparision sheet below of the synthtetic benchmarks we ran.
Camera and battery
The camera is the only redeeming factor of this phablet and the 13MP rear camera takes good pictures without losing any detail. But we would like to add that the colours came out dull in some pictures and LG hasn’t added any advanced features so that pro camera users could exploit the camera.
With respect to battery, the phablet did a good enough job with 9 hours of screen-on time. But the device does lose battery easily when you play a game or use it for navigation. In a normal day of use, we were able to get a whole day out of the phone on a single charge.
Camera Samples from LG G3 Stylus
We won’t mince our words, the LG G3 Stylus is a disappointment. LG has lost a great opportunity to cut into Samsung’s ‘big phone with a stylus’ market and it could have done better. The stylus on the phablet has no dedicated apps or features making it a useless addition to the device. Anyway, if you are looking to buy a phone with a large screen and have a budget of Rs. 20,000 budget, just buy the Huawei Honor 6.
Where to buy
- LG to unveil G3 Stylus smartphone at IFA
LG has confirmed it will be showcase a new smartphone – G3 Stylus – at the forthcoming IFA event in Berlin....26 - Aug - 2014
- LG Stylus 2 with Android 6.0, VoLTE launched at Rs. 19,500
The LG Stylus 2 smartphone has been launched in India and will be available from May 18, at Rs. 19,500. The device...17 - May - 2016
- LG Stylus 2 to be unveiled at MWC 2016
LG has announced that it will be unveiling the Stylus 2 smartphone at the Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona. The...16 - Feb - 2016
Latest Forum discussions on LG G3 Stylus
- One plus one or lg g3 ?
Hi, I have been looking at a lot of YouTube videos which put these two devices head to head and one common point is that the LG G3's battery sucks big time and on the other hand the One Plus One's battery is awesome! I understand that the battery in One Plus One doesnt have to power such a high pixel density screen but is it really THAT BAD? I...
- Saiyangoku22/01/2015They are in very different budget segments. Oneplus One costs 22k, while G3 is almost double that. Give your budget and fill the questionnaire. :|
- Eureka23/01/2015^ :facepalm: G3 is priced at 30-32k on eBay, yeah not with warranty, but still. [url=http://www.ebay.in/itm/Deal-02-New-Imported-LG-G3-32GB-/141541568282?pt=IN_Mobile_Phones&hash=item20f488ef1a]Deal 02 NEW Imported LG G3 32GB | eBay[/url] Yeah you should wait for MWC to happen, which is just a month away. G3 has poor battery life, as everyone...
- Minion23/01/2015I would suggest you to wait for Zenphone 2 and if you can't wait then One plus one is pretty good phone.
- Oneplus one or lg g3
I have budget of around 34K I have researched a lot and zeroed on this 2 : OnePlus One & LG G3 32GB (not considering 16GBs) I am getting g3 around 34 without bill, so both of em wont have warranty. Both has its pros nd cons: (I suppose u know pros of both). Cons G3 - 10K Expensive - no cyanongen out of box - Battery not as great as...
- Minion11/10/2014Wait for some time one plus one 64GB version will lunch in India for 25k. Source [url=http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/OnePlus-wants-to-price-the-64GB-One-under-Rs-25000-in-India/articleshow/41405064.cms]OnePlus wants to price the 64GB One under Rs 25,000 in India - The Times of India[/url] One Plus One Camera Quality is very...
- Dharmil00711/10/2014I cant wait, i have someone who can bring the phone from Belgium. So thats not the issue. Issue is : I am thinking which one is worth a buy ?
- Abirthedevil11/10/2014If I were you I would go for OPO, I dont think the camera is that bad, cyanogen 11s isint as buggy as you might think had tons of updates already and updates come out thick and fast, think yellow screen also go fixed with updates tho not sure.
- Lg g3 or htc m8 or google nexus 6
Hi, I am planning to buy a new phone, I am planning to go with either g3 or m8 or nexus 6 . Nexus 6 is yet to hit to store (it will be available on flipkart) and there isn't much info about it available on Internet. I am confused as to go with which one. Please share your feedback about these phones so I can make a final choice. thanks...
- Kunalgujarathi20/12/2014If u can handle 6" or 167 mm. Then Nexus 6 is the beast. Good battery life. Or you can wait for Moto Droid Maxx launching in Jan. Please fill the questionnaire.
- $hadow20/12/2014For for m8 if camera is not a big concern for you. And go for n6 if size is a no problem for you.
- Kkn1320/12/2014all three are great phones however given a choice,i didnt like the look of the N6,it didnt feel as premium as i thought it would,hardware and software is excellent no doubt but overall design etc was a letdown and size is too big,i prefer the N5 design and size(my personal preference of course) as for G3,i loved its design and features etc but...
- Lg g3 with 5.5-inch qhd display, laser af camera goes official
[QUOTE][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]The [/FONT][/COLOR][URL="http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3-6294.php"]LG G3[/URL][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial] is finally official and is ready to take the duties as the company's 2014 flagship Android smartphone. [/FONT][/COLOR][B]Hardware[/B] [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]The LG G3 features a 5.5" True HD-IPS+ LCD...
- Rijinpk127/05/2014time to have 64 gb base memory!!
- Saiyangoku27/05/2014noob people will still buy the likes of crapsung instead of this beast :(
- Ztr27/05/2014[QUOTE=rijinpk1;2117095]time to have 64 gb base memory!![/QUOTE] This has expandable so no issue ;)
- Lg g3 vs oneplus one
Looking to buy a phone among the two. I'm buying it from a friend, so these are the only options I have. The LG G3 is the AT&T variant. So, which phone will be better? Battery life is not a problem for me since I have a secondary phone. My usage will be whatsapp, Facebook and mails. I won't play games, maybe an hour per week
- Saiyangoku16/08/2015Fill the questionnaire. Both are good devices but I'd rather ask you to wait for Moto X Play launch. Phones like Redmi 2, Moto G (3rd gen), Yuphoria would be enough for your primary usage.
- Suarezian16/08/2015Sorry, couldn't see the questionnaire as I created this thread using Tapatalk. The cameras in Moto G and Redmi are not up to par, hence I've narrowed down to g3 and one.
- Saiyangoku16/08/2015Here's the questionnaire: [url]http://www.digit.in/forum/buying-advice/134349-questionnaire-mobile-phone-purchase-queries.html[/url]