- 12990/- Buy Now
HTC Desire 616 Dual SIM Price in India
HTC Desire 616 Dual SIM Rating 71100
The Desire 616 is a good looking handset, and with an octa-core processor it sounds impressive as well. But would you really consider something that provides a similar performance experience which is available on other devices in the same price range? The MediaTek processor isn't super powerful but it does provide enough power to give you a lag free experience on the device. The smartphone does have its ups and downs and there isn't any major feature that would make us recommend this handset to the mass.
- Smooth and stable UI performance
- Octa-core processor at an affordable price
- Camera quality is quite good in its class
- Glossy back panel
- Low internal memory
- Battery backup could have been better
HTC Desire 616 Dual SIM: Detailed Review
HTC has realized that it cannot just survive on high end devices and we have seen a number of low priced smartphones from the Taiwanese OEM. The company announced the Desire 616, its first octa-core equipped smartphone, this month in India and we take it for spin to see if HTC has made the right decision in fitting in an 8-core MediaTek processor.
- Display: 5 inches 1280x720 pixel resolution (294ppi)
- Battery: 2000mAh
- Storage: 4GB
- Camera: 8MP rear with LED flash, 2MP front
- SoC: Mediatek MT6592
- CPU: 1.4GHz octa-core
- GPU: Mali-450MP4
- RAM: 1GB
- Operating system: Android 4.2.2
- Connectivity: 3G, W-Fi, Bluetooth, Dual-SIM
BUILD AND DESIGN
The Desire 616 looks and feels like a younger brother to the Desire 816. Even HTC claims that the sole purpose of the Desire 616 is to be an affordable version of the 816 which offers similar performance capabilities. Up front the Desire 616 is a chic looking smartphone with a 5-inch 720p display which somehow looks good only when the brightness is above 50%. Viewing angles are very good and colours remain intact. HTC has removed the capacitive touch buttons and has gone for on-screen navigation keys. Above the display there is a large speaker like grill but surprisingly it is the earpiece. Next to it we have some sensors and the front 2MP camera.
The handset has a glossy back panel which leads to a lot of fingerprints and smudges. The back also houses the 8MP camera with an LED flash, HTC branding and the loudspeaker. Underneath the back panel, you get a regular sized and a micro SIM card slot along with the 2000mAH battery.
The design and feel of the smartphone is quite good, although we weren’t a fan of the glossy back panel as it reduces your grip and attracts fingerprints and smudges which makes the back look dull.
The Desire 616 does maintain HTC’s good design philosophy, although it is clearly visible that the company is trying to bring in smartphones made out of low-cost material without having to compromise on the overall design and build quality.
UI AND PERFORMANCE
The smartphone runs on Android 4.2.2 with a custom HTC launcher which we have seen on other low end HTC devices including the Desire 516, 310 and 210. The launcher just includes HTC’s news and social media aggregator app BlinkFeed as one of the homescreens and some custom HTC icons and menu drawer. Other than that, everything is stock Android. The UI is very stable and we didn’t notice any lags or any crashes.
This is HTC’s first handset with an octa-core SoC with 1GB of RAM and the fluidity of the UI makes its evident that it is powerful enough to provide a lag-free experience. Although being a MediaTek chipset we had our doubts about the battery efficiency as well as heating issues and our concerns turned into reality because just 10-15 minutes of gameplay in Dead Trigger 2 stressed the SoC and it started to heat up the device. We also carried out our standard battery test where after playing a full HD video for 1 hour led to a loss of 25% in battery which is again a bit disappointing.
Keeping the heating issues aside, the chipset performs well in benchmark tests. It managed to get scores which were very close to the Moto X and better than the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 which has now fallen in the same price segment. However it is amusing to see that a low to mid-range smartphone with an octa-core processor gives you a similar performance experience that you could get on a similar priced quad-core or even a dual-core processor equipped smartphone.
The performance and day to day task management feels great on the Desire 616 but we were put off by the fact that the MediaTek processor heats up when put under stress and also doesn’t manage the battery all that well.
There is an 8MP snapper on the Desire 616 along with the 2MP front camera for taking selfies and making video calls. The primary camera performs well and is quite good on sharpness and colour reproduction. Under broad daylight, you will be happy with your pictures as the focusing and shutter speeds are up to the mark. Moving to shadows and low light conditions will leave you with grainy and shaky pictures.
The camera app has a stock Android UI thus you get basic settings and a few tweaking options here and there.
Click on images to enlarge:
In the video department you do get the option to shoot at 1080p resolution and videos come out quite smooth. If you like the occasional photo shooting spree, the camera on the Desire 616 won’t disappoint and it is probably one of the finest in its class.
If you think that an octa-core processor is superior to other processors with a lesser number of cores then you are mistaken. Nobody needs so many cores on a smartphone as it is quite pointless. The hardware on the Desire 616 is stable and as good as smartphones like the Moto X and the Galaxy Grand 2 and with a price tag of Rs. 16,990 it does sound like a bargain. However it will definitely heat up more and give slightly less battery backup than the above mentioned.
Where to buy
- HTC Desire 616, 5-inch octa-core smartphone announced
HTC has introduced a new Android smartphone under its Desire lineup. Called the Desire 616, the new HTC smartphone...07 - Jul - 2014
- HTC Desire 620G dual SIM listed online at Rs. 15,763
HTC's Desire 620G smartphone has been spotted on the Indian e-commerce websites. Snapdeal has listed the phone at...16 - Dec - 2014
- HTC One E8 launched at Rs 34,990; Desire 616 priced at Rs 16,900
HTC has launched its One E8 and Desire 616 smartphones in India at Rs. 34,990 and Rs. 16,900 respectively. The E8 will...11 - Jul - 2014
Latest Forum discussions on HTC Desire 616 Dual SIM
- Htc one e8 launched for rs 35,000 , htc desire 616 launched for rs 17,000
HTC has launched two new smartphones in the Indian market. The first is the HTC One E8, a variant of the flagship One M8, and the second the Desire 616, a mid-range smartphone. The HTC One E8 is priced at ₹34,990 ($580) and the Desire 616 is priced at ₹16,900 ($280). The HTC One E8 is a slightly trimmed down variant of the HTC One...
- Sune11/07/2014That's really bad pricing by HTC. Considering that E8 is available for less than 30k in China, the price seems too steep.
- Rish111/07/2014[QUOTE=SunE;2136553]That's really bad pricing by HTC. Considering that E8 is available for less than 30k in China, the price seems too steep.[/QUOTE] thats a very good price .. don't compare it with chinese prices , all phones you buy here are much more cheaper in china the price is very good because Htc used to overprice their phones .. plus...
- Takemein11/07/2014[QUOTE=rish;2136558]thats a very good price .. don't compare it with chinese prices , all phones you buy here are much more cheaper in china the price is very good because Htc used to overprice their phones .. plus this one does not have that crappy ultrapixel and this removes one of the biggest negative point from M8 and is equally priced as...
- Htc desire 500 vs sony xperia m dual
Hi Friends, Please advise me to select among HTC Desire 500 & Sony Xperia M Dual. HTC Desire 500 Qualcomm(R) Snapdragon(TM) 200, quad-core 1.2 GHz Adreno 203 xperia m dual Qualcomm(R) MSM8227 dual-core 1 GHz Adreno 305 Which processor is better....? As I am not going to change the phone for the next 2 - 3 years please help me to select...
- Randomuser11123/10/2013Xperia M dual processor is way superior :) MSM8227 is S4 Krait Dual Core (between Cortex A9 & Cortex A15). HTC Desire 500 processor is Cortex A7 quad. GPU wise same story, Adreno 305 is much more poweful than Adreno 203 which is a low end GPU
- Theserpent23/10/2013[QUOTE=randomuser111;2021864]Xperia M dual processor is way superior :) MSM8227 is S4 Krait Dual Core (between Cortex A9 & Cortex A15). HTC Desire 500 processor is[B] Cortex A7 quad.[/B] GPU wise same story, Adreno 305 is much more poweful than Adreno 203 which is a low end GPU[/QUOTE] It's a5 ;)
- Zangetsu23/10/2013Xperia M is better than Desire 500 HTC think they are like Apple Premium phone makers :mrgreen:
- Htc desire 820s dual sim launched in india for rs 24,890
HTC has launched a new smartphone, the Dual SIM HTC Desire 820s. They have really thought about the people of India. The MRP of the device is Rs 25,500, but it will be available at a market operating price of Rs 24,890. I think it's really a new cool handset, lets see where it...
- Saiyangoku13/03/2015There was no need of HTC to launch it when they already have a better Desire 820 at similar price. :mad: Buyers should either buy the original Desire 820 or prefer Oneplus One. And no, they never really "thought about the people of India" when they launched it. This is purely business strategy. :facepalm:
- Kkn1313/03/2015Mediatek no thanks rather buy One Plus One or HTC D820 [SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE] [QUOTE=SaiyanGoku;2209147] And no, they never really "thought about the people of India" when they launched it. This is purely business strategy. :facepalm:[/QUOTE] Forget that,its priced higher than their own HTC D820 AND has a Mediatek chipset,they want...
- Mohit920614/03/2015If HTC really thought about the people of India they would have priced this phone at 10k.
- Htc desire 600 dual sim goes official, sense 5 on board
[Quote] The HTC One leads the charge of the Sense 5 experience and now the HTC Desire 600 dual sim fills the ranks with an affordable alternative. The smartphone was introduced today and is supposed to bring many of the One's premium features at a far lower price...
- Empirial23/05/2013[QUOTE=ZTR;1909767]Quad core A5 :lol: Is it just me or is Sony the only one making decent mid range phones?[/QUOTE] Sony, LG, HTC, Samsung should make NovaThor U8500 based cheap Dual Sim Phones with Mali 400 GPU & 1GB Ram. Why they are still using A5 Processors?
- Theserpent23/05/2013Why lord WHY? Cortex A5 [QUOTE=ZTR;1909767]Quad core A5 :lol: Is it just me or is [B]Sony+LG the only one making decent mid range phones?[[/B]/QUOTE] No its true
- Rohanm23/05/2013^^ they think giving an extra sim slot means a lot, it's ok in their country but in india & china it's totally normal.
- Htc desire hd and desire z released !!!!
On 15th Sep HTC held a Exhibition and HTC Desire HD was there too Specs [quote] HTC Desire HD Judge this phone ! % Design % User friendliness % Features % Performance % Price / Quality ratio % Your rating 85% Overall rating Submit your rating! HTC Desire HD Compare this phone! Our Top 10 Samsung SGH-F… € 409.21 Sony...
- Drumster19/09/2010Hmm, wonder when they will hit India. I believe they wont bring it to India for the next 3-4 months atleast. Because they just launched Desire and would not want to cannibalize their Desire sales.