HTC Desire 516 Rating 63100
HTC usually impresses in its design and build quality but since this is a budget smartphone, HTC seems to have compromised on its overall construction. At this price, the HTC Desire 516 doesn't give you any reason to spend your money on it and in our opinion there are way better designed smartphones that work better. Even the camera and the display are disappointing and something that we didn't expect from a reliable brand like HTC.
- BlinkFeed is a welcome feature
- Supports high-end games thanks to the Snapdragon chipset
- Glossy design, leads to fingerprints and smudges
- Very average looking display
- Poor camera performance
HTC Desire 516: Detailed Review
HTC has also taken the affordable smartphone route and has started launching smartphones under the 15k price segment. The Desire 516 takes on the Moto G by offering similar specs at the same price point, but has HTC done enough to make it worth the money? Let’s check it out…
- Display: 5 inches 960x540 pixel resolution (220ppi)
- Battery: 1950mAh
- Storage: 4GB
- Camera: 5MP rear with LED flash, 2MP front
- SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 200
- CPU: 1.2GHz quad-core
- GPU: Adreno 302
- RAM: 1GB
- Operating system: Android 4.3
- Connectivity: 3G, W-Fi, Bluetooth, Dual-SIM
BUILD AND DESIGN
We were a bit disappointed with HTC as we are used to seeing good looking devices from the brand. The Desire 516 has an all plastic design and it isn’t what we would call desirable. The glass on top of the display and the glossy back, are fingerprint magnets and make you clean the device every now and then.
The smartphone has a 5-inch display with a 960x540 pixels resolution. Now for a 5-inch device the resolution is quite low, but overall the display looks decent. Colours aren’t completely washed out when viewed from different angles, although under direct sunlight, it gets difficult to read. Below the display there are three capacitive touch Android navigation keys which give a rather weird vibration feedback. Above the display there is the earpiece, the HTC logo and the front camera. Surprisingly we didn’t find any proximity or light sensors above the display.
The right edge houses the power/lock key with a chrome finish and the volume rocker keys are on the left. The top has the microUSB port and the 3.5mm audio jack. The bottom is pretty much empty and only has the microphone.
The back is really glossy and there wasn’t a single moment where the back was free of smudges or fingerprints. The back also has the 5MP camera with an LED flash and the back panel comes off to the reveal the battery, two regular sized SIM card slots and a microSD card slot.
The device has a very standard build and design and frankly speaking we expected a better quality from HTC, but it seems that a lot of cost cutting has been done to make the smartphone affordable.
UI AND PERFORMANCE
HTC has crammed in a mixture of stock Android 4.3 along and a drop of its Sense UI. Don’t be excited as essentially you have a stock Android device with just BlinkFeed and the HTC app drawer menu. This clearly shows that HTC is planning to wipe out its support for any devices running below Sense 5 UI.
The UI isn’t completely smooth and it is slightly sluggish. For that matter we wish HTC had put a stock KitKat ROM on the device. Apps and multitasking gave us no issues, and everything runs perfectly fine on the smartphone. Even games like Dead Trigger 2 and Temple Run 2 can be played on the smartphone with very minimal lag. The handset does however fumble when playing full HD videos if you play them on the default video player. Video playback was choppy, although the issue was resolved when we tried a third party app.
Another issue that we noticed was that the call performance on the smartphone isn’t up to the mark. The speaker for attending calls is very low on volume and the first 2-3 seconds of your call are almost inaudible. Now this could be an issue with the review unit that we got, and we will test out another unit and give an update here.
In the benchmark tests, we found that the Desire 516 offers almost similar looking scores as the Moto G, however like we have said before, daily usage performance matters more. Check out the benchmark results of the HTC Desire 516 over here.
Somehow even though the UI is close to stock Android, it doesn’t feel refined. HTC certainly could have done better job with it.
There is a 5MP camera on the Desire 516 backed up with an LED flash. There is also a front 2MP camera for video calls and selfies. The primary camera is quite disappointing as everything seems very slow. The focusing is slow and even the shutter takes a long time to take the picture. Pictures in bright daylight are decent but as soon as you move indoors the quality goes down drastically.
Even the camera app UI was really poor as it looks like a really old version of a stock camera app where one can’t find which setting is where.
The camera can also shoot 720p videos although they come out best when you’re under the bright sun or in a very well lit room.
We’ve tested many smartphone cameras and the module on the Desire 516 is surprisingly average.
From a brand that makes some great looking smartphones, we didn’t expect the rote design of the HTC Desire 516. Yes one has to compromise on certain features when we talk about budget smartphones, but a glossy plastic body, a substandard camera and an incomplete UI makes the Desire 516 a shaky effort by HTC.
- HTC Desire 516 launched in India for Rs. 14,200
The HTC Desire 516 has been launched in India offically, it is priced at Rs. 14,200. Here is what the HTC Desire 516...25 - Jun - 2014
- HTC Desire 830 with 5.5-inch FHD display, BoomSound launched in Taiwan
HTC has launched the Desire 830 smartphone in Taiwan. The device is priced at TWD 9,990 (approx. Rs. 20,600) and comes...03 - May - 2016
- HTC Desire 10 to be launched in Q3 2016?
HTC may be working on a new smartphone called the Desire 10, according to leakster Evan Blass. While he doesn't...11 - Jul - 2016
Latest Forum discussions on HTC Desire 516
- Htc desire hd and desire z released !!!!
On 15th Sep HTC held a Exhibition and HTC Desire HD was there too Specs [quote] HTC Desire HD Judge this phone ! % Design % User friendliness % Features % Performance % Price / Quality ratio % Your rating 85% Overall rating Submit your rating! HTC Desire HD Compare this phone! Our Top 10 Samsung SGH-F… € 409.21 Sony...
- Drumster19/09/2010Hmm, wonder when they will hit India. I believe they wont bring it to India for the next 3-4 months atleast. Because they just launched Desire and would not want to cannibalize their Desire sales.
- Htc desire x or htc 8s..
A big question which way should i go Desire x or 8S..coz both are at same price..I have never use android & windows both so really messed up.. Please Help Me..
- Debarshi03/11/2012As per Geekaphone, you should go for the HTC 8S Check it out [url=http://geekaphone.com/compare/HTC-8S-vs-HTC-Desire-X]HTC 8S vs Desire X - Our Analysis[/url]
- Bhushan2k03/11/2012dont look for desire x...if u need android in 22k then look for something better like nexus, razr, galaxy s2, atrix 2 or xperia p...if u need windows phone then htc 8s is good...
- Debarshi03/11/2012Wait for sometime for the new LG nexus to be launched here. See the prices and then decide.
- Htc one v or htc desire hd
Hi, Im getting HTC Desire HD one year old bt in mint condition with exchange with my HTC One V 3months with Bill. I just have to pay 500INR on top of it. Pls help me should I agree with the deal and take Desire HD or stick with my One V only :p
- Sam23/09/2012why you want to downgrade?
- Iplay23/09/2012Can have ICS custom ROM.
- Sam23/09/2012Should have went for HTC Incredible at the first place. And One V will have better roms once the customer base increases.
- Htc explorer or htc desire c ?
My budget is 9-10k. I like the build quality of HTC and its UI customization so i dont prefer any other brand. I m confused between Explorer and Desire C. Explorer = 8k Desire C = 12k when compared, Desire C has - 3.5 inch screen - runs on ICS - 4GB internal memory - 5MP camera (No flash) Explorer has - 3.2 inch screen - runs...
- Sam09/09/2012Desire C is seriously overpriced. At 8k grab Explorer else at 10k there is Xperia Mini though with a smaller display and only 300MB internal memory. You may look at Xperia Tipo but heard it is having software problem. So unless you can wait for Sony to release a fix, ignore it. There are few more like Live with Walkman, Huawei IDEOS X5 Pro and...
- Dan4u09/09/201290MB internal memory in the htc explorer is too little, you will run out of space very soon if you install 7-8 apps, also its nearly a year since it was released , [URL="http://www.flipkart.com/sony-xperia-tipo-mobile-phone/p/itmdcwudzyjfhph5?pid=MOBDCWSHSBAJY6GV&ref=596bbec3-9819-427e-a9ca-3a07df0d5bde"]Sony Xperia Tipo[/URL] is a good choice
- Balaji252509/09/2012[QUOTE=dan4u;1746167]90MB internal memory in the htc explorer is too little, you will run out of space very soon if you install 7-8 apps, also its nearly a year since it was released , [URL="http://www.flipkart.com/sony-xperia-tipo-mobile-phone/p/itmdcwudzyjfhph5?pid=MOBDCWSHSBAJY6GV&ref=596bbec3-9819-427e-a9ca-3a07df0d5bde"]Sony Xperia Tipo[/URL]...
- Htc desire x launched!
HTC has just launched it's August announced smartphone with the Dual Core S4 Snapdragon: HTC Desire X It will be facing directly against Samsung Galaxy S Advance & Sony Xperia Sola. You can even see a close comparison on here:...
- Lalit kishore15/10/2012As an individual it's hard to say about its performance, only after reviewing it I could say something about this phone. As far as comparison is concerned with Sony Xperia Sola I didn't found much difference in between. However, Samsung Galaxy S Advance has a plus point with front 1.3 MP camera, while this HTC device is in lack of front...
- Which is better htc desire 516 or moto g??
- Which i have to buy htc desire 516 or asus zenfone 5
- Which one is better choice among \'htc desire 516\', samsung galaxy grand quattro\' and \' sony xperia m dual
- Which mobile phone is better from these three?1. moto g2. htc desire 516 3. asus zenfone 5
- Which processor is good ? quad core vs octa core?