Asus ZenFone 2 (2GB RAM) ZE550ML Rating 78100
It's quite surprising that Asus is not making efforts to push the 2GB RAM variant of the Zenfone 2. The device, with its new Intel processor, performs better than any other sub-15k smartphone, and though the phone has a few weaknesses, it's without a doubt the best buy below 15k right now as long as you don't mind the generous form factor.
- Best in class performance
- Sturdy build
- Doesn't heat up easily
- Average camera
- Battery life could have been better
Asus ZenFone 2 (2GB RAM) ZE550ML: Detailed Review
When you announce a smartphone with 4GB of RAM, you’ve got the intrigue angle right. Every one has been interested in the Asus Zenfone 2, buyers and reviewers alike. The 4GB RAM variant of the device though, has overshadowed what could be the more important variant of the Zenfone 2, the one with 2GB of RAM.
Why you ask? Because the 2GB variant competes in a very difficult market segment, and against perhaps the toughest competitor, Xiaomi. The 1080p, 2GB variant of the Zenfone 2 costs Rs. 14,999, putting it squarely in competition with the Mi 4i. That said, in a price sensitive market, the extra two thousand bucks leaves a lot of ground to cover. So, the question that remains is, does the Zenfone 2 justify the extra cost?
Before we get to that, let’s take a moment to look at what’s actually different in this Zenfone 2 compared to the variant with 4GB of RAM. The display, battery size and camera all remain the same, so you can read about those elements in our other review of the Asus Zenfone 2. What changes here is the processor, a 1.8GHz Intel Atom Z3560 SoC is fitted in this one, along with 2GB of RAM.
Like it’s older brother, with its 4GB RAM, the real hero of the 2GB variant of the Zenfone 2 is its performance. While the CPU performs at somewhere between the Snapdragon 800 and 801, the GPU is at the OnePlus One level. What does this mean? If you’re a big mobile gamer, then this is the best phone you can buy in the sub-15k segment today.
The Zenfone 2 has a PowerVR G6430 GPU. If that sounds familiar, it’s because Apple used this same GPU on the iPhone 5S. Now that doesn’t automatically mean that the Zenfone 2 is as good a gaming performer as the iPhone 5S, but it gets closer than any other phone worth 15k.
Performance wise, the phone is far ahead of the Xiaomi Mi4i, or indeed, any other smartphone in the sub-15k segment. In terms of benchmarks, the Zenfone 2 racks up double the performance of the Mi4i. The extra four cores on the Mi4i, allow it to offer slightly better multi-core performance on benchmarks, but the Zenfone 2 overshadows the Mi4i in real world performance because of less intense heating issues.
The battery performance is a tricky part in the 2GB Zenfone 2 variant. The Intel Atom Z3560 SoC seems to be heavily optimised for video performance, allowing it to last up to 20 hours in video tests. In more real world simulations though, the Zenfone 2 actually comes out behind the Xiaomi Mi4i. If you’re using this as your daily driver, then you’ll have to make good use of the power saver modes in order to get the phone to last you a full day. At best, the Zenfone 2 can give you 10-12 hours of battery life without using any of the battery saver modes.
Even when you’re using the battery saver modes, over extended periods of gaming, the Zenfone 2 will drop about 15% battery over 15 minutes of gaming. What it won’t do in that time though is heat up abnormally and hence, performance won't take a hit because of throttling. Also, the version we're talking about here has a 1080p display, so the battery life should be a little better for the 720p version.
The Asus Zenfone 2 provides the one thing that the Xiaomi Mi4i lacks, which is the performance, while it is not as good in camera quality. As a consumer, this makes the decision quite simple. If you’re looking for best in class performance, then the Zenfone 2 is the one to go for. It is important to note that while the Zenfone 2’s camera is not as good as the Xiaomi Mi4i, it can still take some respectable photos in proper light conditions.
In terms of overall value for money, the Zenfone 2 seems to be the better smartphone as compared to the Xiaomi Mi4i. While both phones have their strengths and weaknesses, the Zenfone 2’s camera and battery life are both respectable, which means that combined with its performance, this is the best phone to buy in the sub-15k smartphone segment right now.
- New Asus smartphone with 5.5-inch display, 2GB RAM spotted on GFXBench
An unannounced Asus device with the model name Asus Z01B was spotted on GFXBench. As per the listing, the phone...06 - Jul - 2016
- Asus Zenfone 2 to launch in India in April, pricing revealed
Asus' latest Zenfone 2 smartphone will be launching in India in April this year. The company has just launched the...10 - Mar - 2015
- Asus Zenfone 2 launched in Europe
Asus has launched its latest Zenfone 2 smartphone in Europe. The smartphone is available in France starting today, and...31 - Mar - 2015
- Asus Zenfone 2 and Zenfone Selfie: In Pictures
The Asus Zenfone 2 runs on Android v5.0.2 Lollipop. Buy Asus ZenFone 2 ZE550ML Dual at Rs. 13,99905 - Jun - 2015
- 9 great smartphone deals you can’t miss
Asus Zenfone 2 Price: Rs. 19,999 SoC: Intel Atom Z3580 CPU: Quad-core 2.3GHz RAM: 4GB Display Size:...06 - May - 2015
Latest Forum discussions on Asus ZenFone 2 2GB RAM ZE550ML
- [zenfone 5 a501cg,16gb, 2gb ram, 1.6ghz] v/s [karbonn titanium octane plus,16 gb,2 gb ram,1.7ghz]
1)Does ASUS supports dual standby 3G SIM (i use both airtel & vodafone alternatively)? 2)Does ASUS has [COLOR="#FF0000"]Compass/ Magnetometer sensor[/COLOR] (for GPS navigation)? 3)What are advantages of ASUS except Gorilla glass and Intel Atom processor and 64 GB microSD support? 4)Camera comparisons between these two? 5)Does Karbon supports...
- Bssunilreddy03/02/20151)Does ASUS supports dual standby 3G SIM (i use both airtel & vodafone alternatively)? Yes 2)Does ASUS has [COLOR=#FF0000]Compass/ Magnetometer sensor[/COLOR] (for GPS navigation)? Yes 3)What are advantages of ASUS except Gorilla glass and Intel Atom processor and 64 GB microSD support? Pixelmaster camera 4)Camera comparisons between these...
- Saiyangoku03/02/2015Gorilla Glass/Dragontrail Glass is a must for any phone now-a-days, you don't want to depend on screen guards for scratch protection. As for buying rebranded phones above 10k, don't buy even if you are at gunpoint. That being said, +1 to Asus Zenphone 5.
- D3b03/02/2015[QUOTE=bssunil;2199382]2)Does ASUS has [COLOR=#FF0000]Compass/ Magnetometer sensor[/COLOR] (for GPS navigation)? Yes [I]Thanks for the info. I really need GPS accuracy. [/I] 4)Camera comparisons between these two? Never compare Asus with Karbon [I]But, why exactly ? (spare me my information on these) [/I] 7)Heating comparisons (not too much a...
- Asus zenfone 2 ze551ml 2gb/ microsoft lumia 640 xl dual sim- anyone have any camera samples?
Which one should I buy? [B]ASUS Zenfone 2 ze551ml 2GB[/B] or [B]Microsoft Lumia 640 XL Dual SIM[/B]? We android user always feel the urge to install MX player, notification toggle, and customizable launchers like APEX/ NOVA etc. I also use runastic apps. Also I love jetaudio to play music while I do some reading (PDF), or gaming (puzzles...
- Kkn1316/05/2015WP:- UI cant be customised with gestures however stock UI itself is so well made,you wont need customisation Id say out of all OS's ive used id say Lollipop has the worst UI and WP has the best in terms of practicality and usability as for camera,Any Lumia will beat its android counterparts in every way especially low light only a few...
- D3b16/05/2015Thanks for your opinion mate, I'll hopefully go for lumia then. You know, I even used Asus P320 (windows 6.5-7.1) and I was a fan of start menu, ie6, media player and all. I will watch for the price tag, and buy it then ( flip cover and screen protector for extra :)).
- Kkn1316/05/2015[QUOTE=d3b;2226762]Thanks for your opinion mate, I'll hopefully go for lumia then. You know, I even used Asus P320 (windows 6.5-7.1) and I was a fan of start menu, ie6, media player and all. I will watch for the price tag, and buy it then ( flip cover and screen protector for extra :)).[/QUOTE] happy to help :)
- Asus zenfone 2 - powerful midranger announced
[img]http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/asus/asus-zenfone-2-01.jpg[/img] [b][color=red]Zenfone 2[/b][/color] specs - 64 bit Lte Quad core 1.8ghz Intel Atom Z3560 Powervr G6430 Gpu 2gb ram 5.5 inch 1080p 13 Mp f2.0 camera with dual-LED flash (great low light performance ) 5 mp secondary 16gb internal + expandable Android 5.0 dual sim dual...
- Nerevarine06/01/2015the GPU is the same one present in ipad air, at 199 $ this sounds too good to be true, a 12k phone with good warranty that delivers this much performance, much wow.. there's a version with 4 GB RAM, personally I think its a bad move, fragmenting owners of the same phone into two categories.. PS: f2.0 is wrong, its actually f2.7..
- Saiyangoku06/01/20154 GB ram in a phone worth 199$ :shock: :shock: :shock:
- Rish106/01/2015[QUOTE=Nerevarine;2192221]the GPU is the same one present in ipad air, at 199 $ this sounds too good to be true, a 12k phone with good warranty that delivers this much performance, much wow.. there's a version with 4 GB RAM, personally I think its a bad move, fragmenting owners of the same phone into two categories.. PS: f2.0 is wrong, its...
- Asus zenfone 2 review
[img]http://i.imgur.com/rWHWTmx.jpg[/img] I got the phone from flipkart after waiting for long time. Asus created so much of hype about the phone so after it listed on the flipkart its gets out of stock. Asus Zenfone 2 comes with phone, charger and usb cable and its so unusual that...
- Sksundram14/05/2015[B]Zf5 had heating issues too. After reading your short review, I am not going to suggest anyone to buy it.[/B]
- Ajayritik14/05/2015I think tenida was one of the first few guys who was very eager to get hold of the Zenphone and I'm sure he was very excited to get hold of one. At one point of time I was even thinking of considering Zenphone by increasing my budget for new phone. Looking at the review I think I made better decision going for Yureka. Thanks for the review Tenida.
- Tenida14/05/2015Now flipkart asking to install this app in a phone to check for refund/or return [url]https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/048138767ad146a538155a799701bda9?utm_campaign=Notification&utm_medium=email&utm_source=marketing&utm_content=click&cmpid=email_marketing_Notification[/url] i wonder how they do check all the problem. [SIZE=1]- - - Updated - -...
- Huawei honor 6 plus or the asus zenfone 2
I was saving money to buy the one plus one but after seeing lot of complaints at the one plus forum I don't want to buy this phone any more so please tell me which one is better the huawei honor 6 plus or the asus zenfone 2 ? or should I stick with my decision and buy the one plus one?
- Saiyangoku16/03/2015I'd buy Oneplus One [strike]or wait for Zenphone 2[/strike]. 3 of my friends are using Oneplus One without problems. Honor 6 lacks dev support. Asus will not launch it with intel SoC and it'll be replaced with mediatek probably. -_-
- Satwik16/03/2015Thanks SaiyanGoku for your inputs,I really want to buy the oneplus one but I am really afraid of those problem and there after sales service even lot of people in oneplus forum are not recommending the phone,I never had a in hand experience with that phone have you used it is it a good one to go for ?
- Saiyangoku16/03/2015I've used it and can say it's the best phone under 30k.