Lenovo Ideapad Flex 2 59-420166 Price in India
Lenovo Ideapad Flex 2 59-420166 Rating 78100
The Flex 2 may lack the Yoga's hinge and the gorgeous display, but it more than makes up for that with its excellent performance and value, enough to earn this device a Best Buy from our test labs. But that's not all it takes. Read on to find out.
- Dedicated GPU
- Comfortable keyboard
- Temperatures in check
- Sub-par screen
- Low battery life
Lenovo Ideapad Flex 2 59-420166: Detailed Review
The Lenovo Yoga is one of the finest examples of a hybrid device that can seamlessly (almost) switch between a laptop and pseudo-tablet mode. The Flex 2 has always seemed like the lesser known younger brother. But is it really? We don’t think so.
Design and Build
While not as well-styled as the Yoga, the Flex is quite a decent looking device in itself. We would have preferred a dash of style, but this is quite a cheap device and maybe that’s asking too much at this price. It’s still a very nicely built device though. Everything feels sturdy and as if it’s built to last and that’s nice to see in a device at this price.
The hinge, which is really not as flexible as the one on the Yoga is still good and unless you’re really enamoured by the Yoga’s 360° hinge, this is more than enough. It’s definitely a bulky device and is comparatively heavy too (at 1.89Kgs), but it also packs in some reasonably powerful hardware in this category. Considering that you’re meant to use this device in tent mode, Lenovo’s added small rubber feet all over the device (the parts that come into contact with the table that is). They do look a bit ugly, especially when you consider the Yoga’s more elegant solution of a black rubber strip around the border.
Regardless, the solution used here is adequate and we really shouldn’t be complaining so much.
Features and Ergonomics
Coming to features, other than the fancy hinge, there’s really not much else. You get three USB ports, but only one USB 3.0 port, which is a bit disappointing.
Ergonomically speaking, this is a great device. The keyboard is a little bit better than the one on the Yoga 2 and the touchscreen and touchpad about as good. You can use the device in tent mode, but honestly, it’s a mode that never really appealed to us.
The Flex 2 packs quite a punch for a device at this price. It’s powered by an i5 4210U CPU that’s just slightly faster than the 4100U that powers most devices in this segment. Interestingly, you also get an NVIDIA GeForce 820M GPU, which does wonders for the device in our GPU intensive benchmarks.
Sniper Elite V2 (fps)
Battery Life (min.)
Screen Brightness (cd/m2)
Battery life takes a significant hit, where we clocked in a barely adequate two hours; this is quite disappointing because we’ve tested laptops that offer double that battery life. Of course, the NVIDIA GPU might have something to do with that performance hit, but still, we expected much more from such a device.
Another sore point with the Flex 2 is the screen, which, after the Yoga 2’s stellar screen, is a drastic step down. The brightness of 200cd/m2 is quite nice, but the contrast ratio of 70:1 is borderline acceptable.
Is that a price you’re willing to pay for the extra performance that the NVIDIA GPU affords?
The real challenge here is comparing the Flex 2 and the Yoga 2. The latter is more expensive, has a better screen, and has about 25% less performance, while the former is cheaper, almost as flexible and so much more powerful.
In practice, we didn’t really miss the Yoga’s 360° hinge, but we did miss the gorgeous screen. The Flex 2 is a nice device to work with but a better screen and better battery life would have gone a long way in providing a better user experience.
At this price however, we really can’t complain.
Some might call this the poor man’s Yoga, and we’re inclined to agree. You lose out on that gorgeous screen and the 360°, but in the bargain you do shave off Rs.10,000 and get a much appreciated performance boost.
Choosing between the Flex 2 and the Yoga 2 is like trying to decide between a Mazda and a Ferrari. One is more flashy for sure, but the other is also more practical and maybe more convenient. Honestly, the choice is a very personal one and we can’t make that for you. But in terms of value for money, this might be the best laptop that you can buy today.
Other Popular Deals
- Lenovo announces news products under the Ideapad, Yoga and Miix lineups
With the festive season around the corner Lenovo held a multi-city event today to announce new Ideapad (510s, 710s,...03 - Oct - 2016
- Vodafone’s FLEX plans combine voice, data, SMS into individual packs
Vodafone has launched a new concept called FLEX for its prepaid users. With this, users will be able to get voice,...20 - Sep - 2016
- Lenovo IdeaPad Y700 gaming laptop launched in India at Rs. 91,990
Lenovo's latest Ideapad Y700 gaming laptop is now available in India. Lenovo’s Y-series of products have...05 - Jul - 2016
Latest Forum discussions on Lenovo Ideapad Flex 2 59-420166
- Need ram upgrade suggestion for my lenovo flex 2-14
Hi, I have a lenovo Flex 2 -14 (59- 429729) notebook. It came with a RAM of 4 GB. I upgraded to Windows 10 and I am planning to upgrade my RAM as well. This notebook has two RAM slots of which only one is filled with a 4GB stick. I want to add another one in the other slot. Please suggest me if I should use another 4 GB or 8 GB stick and also...
- $hadow12/08/20158 gb ram will be ample for your laptop. Get cosair 4 gb.
- Sameermanas13/08/2015[QUOTE=$hadow;2248826]8 gb ram will be ample for your laptop. Get cosair 4 gb.[/QUOTE] The Corsair Vengeance models will be suitable for Laptops ? Can you please tell me what frequency and model will be the best suitable one. Thanks in advance.
- $hadow13/08/2015I am going to need a cpu Z and speccy screen shot.
- Lenovo launches c260 aio,yoga 2 ,flex 2 ,g40/g50 and z50 laptops in india.
The Lenovo Yoga 2 convertible ultrabook brings affordable multimode computing. The budget-friendly Yoga 2′s 10-point multi-touch 13.3-inch display flips back 360 degrees to offer four different usage modes like laptop, tablet, stand, and tent. Weighing 1.66 kg and measuring 17.3 mm thick, the Yoga 2 has a hybrid drive with 500 GB + 8 GB SSD...
- Chaitanya21/06/2014[QUOTE=V.VAIDYA;2127940] The next is the budget friendly Lenovo Flex 2, a 14-inch dual-mode laptop with a touchscreen that flips 300 degrees from laptop to stand mode. The laptop has backlit keyboard and comes in graphite grey colour. It measures 22.4 mm in thinness and weighs 1.9kg. Powered by up to fourth gen Intel Core i5 ULT processor, it...
- Theserpent21/06/2014Great a laptop with better specs than z510:| for 40k I should have waited
- Chaitanya21/06/2014Hey quick doubt... does the GT 840M really come in the lowest variant?? (cause I guess on Intel HD there)
- Lenovo ideapad y500 or lenovo ideapad y510p which one to go for
[B]Hello Guys, As today I got to know that in some states Lenovo Ideapad Y510p is available. And on some online websites too. Like : [url=http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-ideapad-y510-59-390016-laptop-4th-gen-ci7-8gb-1tb-win8-2gb-graph/p/itmdz5afhv8jyuuw]Lenovo Ideapad Y510 (59-390016) Laptop (4th Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Lenovo:...
- $hadow30/08/2013Now since you haven't mentioned the budget so I am guessing that you can spend about 76 k. now regarding your question yes it is 755m, full hd display is always a plus to have and dude the sound is just awesome pair it with good headphone and it can do wonders for you in terms of sound. My vote goes to y510p proud owner.
- Amg00930/08/2013Would love to have the y510p...
- -=hell=-30/08/2013[QUOTE=amg009;1998761]Would love to have the y510p...[/QUOTE] kindly state the reason buddy why u would love to have the y510p [QUOTE=$hadow;1998755]Now since you haven't mentioned the budget so I am guessing that you can spend about 76 k. now regarding your question yes it is 755m, full hd display is always a plus to have and dude the sound is...
- Lenovo ideapad y510p
Any idea when Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p is coming to india.It offers great specs at a reasonable price.I was about to buy HP Envy Touchsmart 15t-j001tx when i saw this laptop.If you have any idea when this laptop is coming...I will wait.The only thing holding me back to buy is its price and graphic card.HP Envy touchsmart has Nvidia GT 740M DDR3 while...
- Diya.r24/08/2013Lenovo india on FB replied to my query saying Y510p will most probably launch in india by the end of october
- Yashxxx24/08/2013but i heard from someone who is near and dear to me :wub: that its prob. going to launch in 2nd week of sept. hope this info. is true.so,u should wait till sept.
- Puttaraju31/08/2013there u go... [url=http://www.thedostore.com/laptops/ideapad-laptops/ideapad-y510p-dusk-black.html]IdeaPad Y510p (Dusk Black) - Ideapad - Laptops[/url]
- Lenovo ideapad suggestion
Hi I am a student,I work with a lap around 4hours, is Lenovo ThinkPad E430 (3254-T3Q) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 2GB/ 500 GB/ DOS) (Black is good . My budget is around 40k. Is there any issues with this lap.shall I go for it? Or is there better options available???thanks in advance...:confused:
- N3rd18/02/2013[url=http://www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-g4-2049tx-laptop-3rd-gen-ci5-4gb-500gb-dos-1gb-graph/p/itmdf3cknqtzdkgh?pid=COMDF3CGGZRKGMFN&affid=thrivinfor]HP Pavilion G4-2049TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph) - HP: Flipkart.com[/url] Better GPU,...