- 68000/- Buy Now
Dell Inspiron 14 7437 Price in India
Dell Inspiron 14 7437 Rating 65100
The Inspiron 14 7437 is not a bad laptop, but it's not a great one either. It's an excellent performer with great battery life but is brought down by a disappointing screen and lack of features, both aesthetically and fucntionally. That said, this is not a bad laptop and if you like the design, need great battery life and can stomach the screen, this just might be the one for you and here's why.
- Loud speakers
- Great battery life
- Good performance
- Disappointing screen
- Keyboard backlight
Dell Inspiron 14 7437: Detailed Review
As a laptop, the Inspiron 14 is a little less than inspiring. It’s a good laptop, it’s functional and it does its job without breaking into a sweat, but there’s not much else on offer. If that’s the type of device you need, then read on and to find out more.
Design and Build
As with many Dells before it, the Inspiron seems heavily inspired by the MacBook Pro. It’s a large, grey, rectangular slab with rounded edges, features a prominent, black, Dell logo on the lid and sports a pretty decent 14” touch-screen.
Being inspired by a MacBook Pro is definitely not a bad thing as Pro is quite a good looking device by itself. However, the design is starting to look old now and it’s the same case with the Dell. It’s a very staid and stolid design that’s a little dull and boring to look at.
The large size of the device means that it’s more comfortable on a desk than a lap, and this is borne out by the two large, horizontal supports than run the length of the device, on the bottom plate. These supports help to keep the device clear of a table, but can get a little bit uncomfortable when the device is on your lap.
With regards to build quality, we really have no complaint. It’s a well-built device and with a reasonable amount of care, should last for quite a while.
Features and Ergonomics
We were quite disappointed by the connectivity options on this laptop. As a 14” device that’s quite far from being a slim ultra-book, we expected more than the two USB 3.0 ports, HDMI out, LAN and card reader. It feels like a lot of wasted space.
As a consequence of the size, the keyboard is large, spacious and comfortable to use. It’s not the most comfortable keyboard ever, but it’s better than the average one. The keyboard is backlit as well, which is a nice touch. However, the backlight has to be manually controlled via a dedicated button.
One issue we had with the backlight was that it wasn’t adequate. If you’re sitting in the dark and your screen is bright, you can’t see the keys when backlit, akin to trying to read your mobile phone’s screen in bright sunlight. It’s a small issue but serves to negate the presence of the backlight in the first place.
Other than that, the touch-screen and touchpad are quite nice and comfortable with no noticeable issues or standout features.
As mentioned previously, this is more of a device for a desk or table and seems to be designed to suit that role.
Considering that this is powered by an i5 4200U and 6GB of RAM, we were expecting it to do reasonably well and it did. The scores are here for all to see and as you will observe, they’re very reasonable for a device of this calibre.
Sniper Elite V2 (fps)
Battery Life (min.)
Screen Brightness (cd/m2)
Two particular points of interest in our performance charts were the battery life and performance of the display. A battery life of over four hours in our tests is a very healthy figure and among the highest in this class. At the same time, a contrast ratio of 100:1 is disappointing and a white level score of 7/12 is frankly, atrocious.
One saving grace, other than the battery life, is the fact that the size of the device means that there is room for proper airflow and headroom for the CPU to perform to its full potential, with none of the throttling that we noticed on many other devices.
If this laptop had a good screen, it would have probably aced our performance sheets for this category.
Considering the size, we didn’t even consider using it on our laps. It’s a device that’s at home on a desk and we were glad to use it that way. It’s a good enough device in itself and other than the issue with the backlight on the keyboard, we didn’t really have any issues with regards to working with the device.
When it comes to entertainment however, this device falls considerably short of what we expected. The sub-par screen meant that movies were no fun to watch because the colours were so badly washed out. The speakers were surprisingly loud though, which was a pleasant surprise. They’re a bit harsh at full volume, but we’d rather have loud and harsh speakers than tinny ones that you can’t hear from 5 feet away.
It’s hard to definitively pin-point why one must buy this laptop and why one shouldn’t. It has its strengths and weaknesses, most notably the excellent battery life and the terrible screen, but overall, it’s not too bad a device. In fact, this is a very normal laptop and that’s the only thing we have against it. It’s not as lovely as the Acer Aspire S7, nor as powerful as the Lenovo Ideapad Flex 2 and neither is it as interesting as the Lenovo Yoga 2. Barring the S7, which is priced much higher, the Yoga 2 and the Flex 2 only lack in battery life and are much cheaper at the same time. Why wouldn’t anyone want one of those over this Inspiron 14?
- Dell announces new line-up of Inspiron devices
Amidst several releases by other manufacturers, Dell also announced its newest line of Inspiron devices that include...03 - Jun - 2015
- Dell unveils a 17-inch 2-in-1 along with Inspiron series refresh
At Computex 2016, Dell has introduced its range of new Inspiron 2-in-1s, of which the Inspiron-17 7000 2-in-1 gained...01 - Jun - 2016
- CES 2013: Dell refreshes Inspiron R laptops; adds optional touchscreen
The new 14, 15 and 17-inch Inspiron and Inspiron R series laptops are thinner than the 2012 models. The 14R measures...09 - Jan - 2013
Latest Forum discussions on Dell Inspiron 14 7437
- Dell inspiron 14 3442 issue
I bought Dell 14 3442 with touch screen option from Flipkart.com. The touch screen was not working out of the box. The device manager detected touch screen but in the PC Info shows "no pen or touch available". I talked to DELL customer support and they said may be touch screen is broken. Raised the issue with flipkart and they promptly replaced...
- Ankush2811/08/2014[QUOTE]He even took control of laptop remotely and tried to check and finally said this also needs touch screen replacement[/QUOTE] After this I think there is nothing much left to do... However try to update all USB drivers. Check whether tablet input is disabled under "windows features" or something like that. [SIZE=1]- - - Updated - -...
- Kkk0514/08/2014Today I got third laptop from flipkart. This also has exact same problem. I don't think now that it can be an HW issue. Definitely some SW issue but clueless. The PC info says no pen touch is available. Device manager says touch screens driver is fine and it means the OS is detecting touch screen at some level. I am not aware on any explicit...
- Purchasing dell inspiron 14"..need help
hi.. first of all thanks to all for helping me for all the purchases I have made till date ... last week I got dell new inspiron 15" for my bro and that works great . also purchased kaspersky internet security 2010.. now I also need a new laptop just for net surfing and watching movies and programming So i selected inspiron 14" model ( don't...
- Praks19/04/2010Why are u doing for Old Inspiron ? Check out new Inspiron 14 (This is very good in look & performance) [url]http://www1.ap.dell.com/in/en/home/notebooks/inspiron-1464/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-1464&s=dhs&cs=indhs1[/url] Look out for (S541212IN8) within your budget.
- Jripper19/04/2010Well considering you go with the old inspiron(i suggest you go with the new one),choose the option for noise cancellation earbuds,its only 300 bucks
- Cdef76319/04/2010[url=http://www.nike-airmaxtn.com/Homme-nike-air-zenyth-c-1_18.html]Nike Air Zenyth[/url]Nike Air Zenyth[url=http://www.nike-airmaxtn.com/Homme-nike-air-force-one-c-1_60.html]Nike Air Force One[/url]Nike Air Force One[url=http://www.nike-airmaxtn.com/Homme-nike-dunk-low-c-1_52.html]Nike Dunk Low[/url]Nike Dunk...
- Dell inspiron 14 new 1464 (review coming soon...)
Guys, I am getting myself a new laptop The "New Dell Inspiron 14 1464" with the following (probable) config: Intel Core i3-350 (2.26Ghz, 4 Threads, 3MB L2 cache) 2 GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM 320 GB 7200 RPM HDD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 512 MB Windows(R) 7 Home Premium 64bit 14.0" High Definition (1366x768) WLED Display Integrated 1.3 mega...
- Latino_ansari26/01/2010cool... waitin for the review...
- Faun29/01/2010whats the price ? You can get good discount if you purchase it through a dell employee.
- Arun the gr830/01/2010[QUOTE=kanjar;1202954]whats the price ? You can get good discount if you purchase it through a dell employee.[/QUOTE] I tried dude.. the discount wasn't that great.. He just agreed to provide these 3 for free: 1. Dell Complete Cover 1 year 2. Optical Mouse 3. Facial Recognition Software But my father is more interested in buying it...
- Dell inspiron 4010 n
I have Dell Inspiron 4010 N which is 2 yrs old and from last 6 months it got hang problem with irritating buzzing noise. Please help me out/
- Lenovo ideapad z500 or dell inspiron 15r turbo ?
I went to a local retailer and checked lenovo ideapad z500 Specs i5 3rd gen 3.5 - 3.10 gpu: nvidia 645m better than inspiron hdd; 1tb ram: 8gb Cost only 50000. I am coming just now from lenovo store. The specs are better than inspiron 15r turbo. But i am concerned about reliability of lenovo. I have never used a lenovo before. + the throttling...
- N3rd08/01/2013Ideapads = poor ASS, average build quality AFAIK. Not sure about this model in specific, given the price. Specwise, sound good.