Lenovo's official website has suffered a cyberattack days after the company asserted preinstalling adware, known as Superfish, on some of its PCs. The website displayed message that site was under maintenance. Hacking group Lizard Squad has claimed the responsibility of the hack attack.
Confirming the security breach, Lenovo told WSJ: "Unfortunately, Lenovo has been the victim of a cyber attack. One effect of this attack was to redirect traffic from the Lenovo website. We are also actively investigating other aspects of the attack. We are responding and have already restored certain functionality to our public facing website."
Hackers group, Lizard Squad, said they were responsible for the hack attack. It may be recalled the same group had previously conducted attacks on PlayStation Networks and other games last year. It recently conducted attacks on Facebook and Instagram.
Lenovo had faced wide criticism for preinstalling adware on some of its PCs. The adware displayed ads into search engine results without user's permission and has the potential to access and even take control of SSL/TLS connections to website.
"Due to some issues (browser pop-up behavior, for example) with the Superfish Visual Discovery browser add-on, we have temporarily removed Superfish from our consumer systems until such time as Superfish is able to provide a software build that addresses these issues. As for units already in market, we have requested that Superfish auto-update a fix that addresses these issues," Lenovo's Mark Hopkins wrote on a Lenovo forum.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- On International Internet Day, know your internet15 must have chrome extensions
- 10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow10 reasons to trust Azure with your data
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks