Cyber fraud in India is on the rise with as many as 37,721 cases involving Rs 497 crore have been reported by the RBI and CBI in the last four years, revealed telecom and IT minister Ravi Shankar Prasad in the Lok Sabha.
Prasad stated that cyber criminals used various techniques in engineering these crimes and are normally reported as ATM/ debit card, credit card, internet banking frauds. "As per information provided by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), 10,048, 8,765, 9,500 and 9,362 cyber fraud cases and losses of Rs 38 crore, Rs 67 crore, Rs 78 crore and Rs 60 crore have been reported to the RBI during 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14 and April-December 2014, respectively," he added.
The minister added: "CBI has also registered 46 cases (14 Preliminary Enquiries) and 32 RCs (Regular Cases) relating to cyber crime in various parts of the country during the last few years that is 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 (till date)."
Till now 34 persons have been arrested in these cases, he stated. "An amount of Rs 90 crore, Rs 158 crore and Rs 6 crore was involved in these cases registered during the year 2012, 2013 and 2014, respectively," Prasad added.
Prasad stated that Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) tracks incidents of malware infections in Indian cyberspace, which works with internet service providers (ISPs) to identify the infected systems and organizations. He added that more than 26,000 police officers and 600 judicial officers have been trained in the training labs established by the government to track cyber frauds.
"CERT-In, Department of Electronics and IT has initiated action with active participation of service providers and industry to set up a centre for detection of computer systems infected by malware and to notify, enable cleaning and securing systems of end users to prevent further malware infections," he added.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- On International Internet Day, know your internet15 must have chrome extensions
- 10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow10 reasons to trust Azure with your data
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks