India will have 213 million mobile internet users by June this year, according to a report by IAMAI. The increase in mobile internet users will be driven by strong adoption of cheaper smartphones and affordable data plans in the country.
According to the 'Mobile Internet in India 2014' by industry body Internet & Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and IMRB International, India had over 173 million at the end of December 2014 and will increase to 213 million by June. Urban users will account for nearly 145 million users by March and 160 million by June. India's rural internet population is expected to reach 49 million by March 2015 growing at a rate of 33 per cent from October 2014.
The report reveals that 74% of the mobile Internet users, use it to access emails, while 61% of users access social networking sites. Other common activities among users are online chatting, watching videos, navigation and listening to music.
Half of the mobile Internet users spend between Rs 100 to Rs 500 in availing the mobile Internet services, according to the report. Approximately 30% spend more than Rs 500 on the mobile Internet connection.
An earlier IAMAI report had stated that India will touch 302 million Internet users by end of 2014, surpassing US as the second largest Internet nation in the world. India's total Internet user base stood at 278 million at the end of October 2014 quarter and is estimated to grow to 354 million by June 2015.
Source: The Hindu
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- 15 must have chrome extensions15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow10 reasons to trust Azure with your data