The Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) has supported TRAI’s decision on differential pricing. In a statement issued to the media, the IAMAI said, “The association had taken a ‘no exception standpoint’ against differential pricing. This ruling vindicates the associations stand on the issue. The Internet Start-up eco-system and the internet user community are delighted.” Further, the IAMAI welcomed the decision that TRAI will be the ultimate authority deciding cases of violations of its ruling and the fact that the regulator’s decision is going to be binding.
The Association though expressed concern “on the exception and the exception to the exception as to how this entire thing will pan out.” The IAMAI says that it hopes that exceptions to TRAI’s rules will not be misused by the Telecom Service Providers (TSPs). The exception the Association is talking about is regarding the fact that TRAI’s regulations shall not apply to tariffs for data services over closed electronic communications networks.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), in a regulation made public a few hours ago, ruled against differential pricing of data plans. The regulator ruled, “no service provider shall offer or charge discriminatory tariffs for data services on the basis of content” and “No Service provider shall enter into any agreement or contract, by whatever name called, with any person, natural or legal, that has the effect of discriminatory tariffs for data services being offered or charged to the consumer on the basis of content.”
You can read more about TRAI’s regulations here. Also, we’ll be covering this story closely, so watch this space for more.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- On International Internet Day, know your internet15 must have chrome extensions
- 10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow10 reasons to trust Azure with your data
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks