In a bid to help people search for their relatives and friends trapped in flood-hit Jammu and Kashmir, Google has launched its Google Person Finder tool for the state. The web application allows individuals to post the details of, and search for the status of, family members or friends affected by the disaster.
If you want to let people know you’re safe, or if you have heard from someone in the disaster affected area, then click on “I have information about someone” and put in their names and details. As the number of names and records increases, the tool will make it easier for those who are safe to pass on their status to people worried about them. The tool is available in both English and Hindi.
Google had launched the Person Finder last year to offer information on missing people in flood-affected areas in the country, including Uttarakhand.
The People finder tool can be embedded on any website, using the following HTML code:
<iframe src="http://google.org/personfinder/2014-jammu-kashmir-floods/?ui=small" width=400 height=300 frameborder=0 style="border: dashed 2px #77c"></iframe>
Google has also rolled out the Person Finder tool on mobile phones. You can request status via SMS by sending the message “Search”, followed by the person’s name i.e. “Search” <name>, to the number 9773300000 . For example, if you are searching for Rohan Gupta, send the message “Search Rohan Gupta”
To make emergency information available immediately, we have also launched a Onebox on Google Search in Hindi and English. This provides helpline information of the Army, Home Ministry, and NDRF Control Room, Emergency Army Helpline:(+91) 011-23019831 Home Ministry Helpline:(+91) 011-23093054 · (+91) 011-23092763 NDRF Control Room:(+91) 011-26107953 · (+91) 0-971107.
You can check out more information about Google crisis tools here.
Even as the local authorities and Army step up rescue efforts, telecom operators are also hard at work to restore community in the state, which is witnessing one of the worst floods in 60 years.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- On International Internet Day, know your internetWeird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 15 must have chrome extensions15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow10 reasons to trust Azure with your data