Google has launched a new cloud storage service for users to store "cold data", which the companies don't require frequently. The new service called Google Cloud Storage Nearline is designed for businesses and costs just $0.01 per GB at rest each month.
Google Cloud Storage Nearline will let users access stored data in about three seconds and will charge them 1 cent per gigabyte of data at rest, the company said in a blog post. With Nearline, Google wants to blur the line between standard online storage and cold storage so businesses don’t have to delete their data anymore or move their files to cold storage. Google has promised quick access to the cold data, which other companies like Amazon's Glacier takes several hours to retrieve.
The cloud storage service uses the same encryption and other security features of Google’s storage products to keep companies data secure. It also shares its APIs with Google’s standard online storage service. The internet giant has partnered with NetApp Inc, Symantec Corp, and Iron Mountain Inc for the new service.
Google stated in a blog post, "Organizations can no longer afford to throw data away, as it’s critical to conducting analysis and gaining market intelligence. But they also can’t afford to overpay for growing volumes of storage."
As Google director of product management for the Cloud Platform team Tom Kershaw stated, “We wanted to create a product that made it economical to never throw anything away. Google is pretty good at storing things, but every organization should be able to keep its data around.”
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- On International Internet Day, know your internet15 must have chrome extensions
- 10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow10 reasons to trust Azure with your data
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks