Google has rolled out a new update that adds support for 15 new Office formats to Google Drive, improving the compatibility between the two platforms further. The new update also makes it easier to open and edit Microsoft office attachments for Gmail web users.
Earlier Google had introduced the ability to edit Office files in Drive, but the new update makes the process easier. Now when a user receives a Microsoft Office file users can just click “edit with Google Docs” pencil icon to open and edit the file instantly. Google has added this functionality for several Microsoft Office file formats, including Excel and PowerPoint files. The documents will open in Google Sheets or Google Slides if they are attached in an email. The update also brings improved support for charts, images and tables. Google has made these small but useful changes to make its products more competitive with Office for users. Read: Google Docs and Sheets apps to get new UI, Office compatibility
Google says in a blog post, "With just one click on the new edit icon in Gmail attachments, you can automatically convert Office documents — giving you the additional benefits of a single document to keep track of, access from anywhere (even offline!), and revision history.
And while we’re on the topic of conversion, you can now import 15 new Office formats — including presentation show files (pps, ppsx), macro-enabled files, and template files — all with improved charts, images, and tables support!"
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurity
- Why you won't need cable or DTH in 2017On International Internet Day, know your internet
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions