Dropbox has denied claims of suffering data breach after a thread emerged on Reddit containing links to files allegedly having hundreds of usernames and passwords. The anonymous hacker claimed to have leaked over 7 million Dropbox passwords.
“Dropbox has not been hacked. These usernames and passwords were unfortunately stolen from other services and used in attempts to log in to Dropbox accounts. We’d previously detected these attacks and the vast majority of the passwords posted have been expired for some time now. All other remaining passwords have been expired as well,” says Dropbox in a statement to The Next Web.
Dropbox further says it had already reset passwords when it detected 'suspicious activity' on these accounts a few months ago.
Earlier, the anonymous hacker posted a few hundred usernames and passwords in plain text and promised a full leak. The hacker has also sought Bitcoin donations for continuing to leak the details.
The hacker said: “Here is another batch of Hacked Dropbox accounts from the massive hack of 7,000,000 accounts. To see plenty more, just search on [redacted] for the term Dropbox hack. More to come, keep showing your support.”
Reports of Dropbox suffering data breach had briefly caused panic amongst users. Just recently, a lot of Hollywood celebrities saw their personal images leak to the web after hackers breached Apple's cloud services suite iCloud.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurity
- Why you won't need cable or DTH in 2017On International Internet Day, know your internet
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions