The Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) has received the Recognition of Excellence award at the ITU World Telecom 2015 event for GyanSetu. GyanSetu is a system that helps overcome factors that limit rural masses from connecting to the internet by making it available to them. It does this by providing a multi-lingual text, audio and video based solution for the rural masses.
GyanSetu was unanimously selected by the jury at the ITU World Telecom 2015 for its innovative approach and social impact. The ITU Telecom World is an annual Information and Communications Technology (ICT) event that is organised by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU). The ITU is the UN agency that is responsible for ICT-related issues around the globe.
The GyanSetu GUI is a web based application that is designed to be user friendly by offering large, self-explanatory image icons and minimal text. it also provides results in a text format and with audio announcements in the language selected by the user. For input, GyanSetu uses a numeric keypad with Braille stickers on the keys. Aside from the 0-9 keys, it also has special keys like Help, Easy Cards, OK, Cancel, Up/Down, and Back. This type of an input is especially helpful for the blind, aged, and illiterate to interact with the application. Aside from English and Hindi, other regional or foreign languages as per the requirements. The selected content is already present in the third party websites/servers and will be made available to the user through the GyanSetu GUI in real time. This feature is being patented by C-DOT.
It also provides special bar coded cards called Easy Cards. These can be used by users to input information to the system. They will be able to map an Easy Card with a specified service and avail it by displaying the card in front of the system supported web camera. The device’s proprietary hardware has been designed by C-DOT and is not only power optimised, but less expensive as well. The site will contain a client system which works on a 230V AC current with requisite interfaces and ports to connect the webcam, numeric keypad (normal and Braille), and a display unit which could be a TV, laptop, monitor, mobile, etc. It can also show advertisements in the form of scrolling text, images, and videos.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurity
- Why you won't need cable or DTH in 2017On International Internet Day, know your internet
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions