Amazon India may launch its Prime music, movie and video streaming services in India this year. According to reports, the ecommerce giant is currently evaluating the feasibility of such services in the country.
According to reports, Amazon India is currently building up a content library for Amazon Prime. Nitesh Kripalani, former executive vice president at Multi Screen Media which runs Sony Entertainment is overlooking the "digital content" creation, according to a person familiar with the development. According to reports Kripalani, who was appointed head of digital content at Amazon India last month, will be negotiating with the country's largest music and movie companies, including Yash Raj Films and Eros International for content licenses.
The company has not appointed an executive to head Amazon Prime in India as yet, but has already started strengthening its logistics and shipping team. The ecommerce giant will double its strength from 6000 to 14,000 people by July, according to reports.
"We are working towards it... difficult to say by when as Nitesh has just been brought in... but he will soon start talks with content providers," said a second executive aware of the discussions. "The biggest limitation is the slow Internet speeds. So, we are looking at how we can bridge this. Hopefully, we should have some of these offerings available sometime in the second half of the year."
Amazon which launched its services in India in 2013, has been competing with Bangalore-based Flipkart. Last year Flipkart announced its Flipkart First, an annual subscription service for users at a nominal cost. So Amazon launching its services in India should not be a surprise. The Amazon Prime service provides free two-day shipping and access to more than 15,000 movies and TV shows to its customers in the US.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- On International Internet Day, know your internetWeird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 15 must have chrome extensions15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow10 reasons to trust Azure with your data