Minister for Communications and Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad stated that nearly 750, 000 km of cable will be laid over the next three and a half years to connect all villages across India with broadband Internet.
Prasad stated at the first ever MyGov Samvaad program attended by those with winning ideas for the Digital India project, that the broadband project intended to cover the whole of India. The MyGov Samvaad programme is an internet-based platform for citizen engagement launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in July. The project selected 20 best ideas from over 40,000 responses.
Ravi Shankar Prasad stated while interacting with contributors of ideas for the Digital India project, “This project aims at digital empowerment of people and will be a game changer.”
India with 300 million internet users, is expected to become the second biggest internet nation by year end surpassing US. He stated that people have to be sensitized about the power of technology.
Prasad added that mobile connectivity in urban areas is 146 per cent, whereas it is just 46 per cent in rural areas. The government is also planning to spend Rs 20,000 crore for providing mobile connectivity in 55,000 villages over the next five years under the Digital India project. Apart from this the Narendra Modi government is planning to spend Rs 25,000 crore on rural WiFi. The project also plans to give internet enabled phones to over 25 million rural households at a nominal amount. Also Read: Government plans WiFi hotspots in major cities under Digital India inititative
Source: The Hindu
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurity
- Why you won't need cable or DTH in 2017On International Internet Day, know your internet
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions