Pinterest, the online image board, has brought in a couple of new features to increase shopping on the platform in a bid to monetize its offering. It aims to transform itself from being mostly a discovery site to a shopping service, hence it has introduced a virtual shopping bag. This new cart-like feature will let you add products to a virtual bag while you are browsing the site and the pins that you discover. Before you leave the site, you can check out the products in your cart from within the site or the app itself.
Previously, the purchase option was only available on the mobile app and within the US. While the US only restriction hasn’t changed, they have expanded the purchase option to the online website as well. They are working closely with merchants to create a better experience for the user while shopping so that the basic USP of the user seeing only what they like doesn’t change.
Additionally, Pinterest has incorporated a visual search feature, wherein, when you open an image it shows a small translucent search button on the top right corner of the image. Once you tap that button, you can specify an area within the image by dragging a rectangular box. Based on that specification, the app identifies the object(s) within that area and suggest visually similar pins for you. This feature works on both the app and the web, and it is not region restricted.
While Pinterest has always been about merging social networking with discovery, they seem to be doing the whole ‘merging social and e-commerce’ bit quite well too. Previously, Flipkart and Twitter have both made efforts in the same direction with ‘Ping’ and the Buy button respectively, and we all know how that turned out. With this development, it would be even more interesting to see how Facebook’s supposed e-commerce bots turn out.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015