Nokia has announced plans to acquire Withings for €170 million. Withings is a French company that manufactures health care devices including wearable gadgets. This acquisition should boost Nokia’s plans to re-enter the consumer electronics market after it was bought by Microsoft a few years back. Nokia’s CEO, Rajeev Suri said in a statement, “We have said consistently that digital health was an area of strategic interest to Nokia, and we are now taking concrete action to tap the opportunity in this large and important market. With this acquisition, Nokia is strengthening its position in the Internet of Things in a way that leverages the power of our trusted brand, fits with our company purpose of expanding the human possibilities of the connected world, and puts us at the heart of a very large addressable market where we can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives.”
The acquisition of Withings should not affect those who own the company’s products. In a blog post, the CEO of Withings, Cédric Hutchings assured users that the company’s products and applications will continue to work in the same way as before. He also noted that the company was impressed with the plans Nokia shared for Preventive Health and Patient care.
Suri has previously confirmed that Nokia will re-enter the smartphone market, however, he did not specify when they plan on doing so. However, there have been leaks, which suggest that Nokia may be planning to launch some devices soon. Nokia has also launched a VR camera called the Ozo that is priced at $60,000.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015