Netflix has announced that principal photography for its upcoming feature film, Okja, has begun in Seoul, South Korea. The film is directed by Bong Joon Ho and star Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Paul Dano. Okja will premiere globally on Netflix in 2017 and will also have a limited day and date theatrical release in the US.
Read the complete press release below
Netflix announced that principal photography has begun today on its feature film Okja in Seoul, South Korea. From director Bong Joon Ho (Snowpiercer, The Host, Mother), Okja is produced by Plan B, Lewis Pictures and Kate Street Picture Company, and stars Tilda Swinton (Hail, Caesar!, Moonrise Kingdom), Jake Gyllenhaal (Nightcrawler, Everest) and Paul Dano (Love & Mercy, 12 Years a Slave) in a bold, global adventure.
"With Okja I want to show the beauty that can exist between man and animal, and also the horror between them," said Director Bong.
Okja was written by Bong and Jon Ronson (Frank) and follows Mija, a young girl who must risk everything to prevent a powerful, multi-national company from kidnapping her best friend – a massive animal named 'Okja'. Mija will be played by Seohyun An.
Joining the cast are acclaimed actors from around the world, including Devon Bostick (The 100), Lily Collins (Mirror Mirror), Byun Heebong (The Host), Shirley Henderson (Anna Karenina), Daniel Henshall (The Babadook), Yoon Je Moon (Mother), Choi Wooshik (Set Me Free) and Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead). Okja will be shot in South Korea, Canada and the US, in English and Korean.
Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Lewis Taewan Kim, Dooho Choi, Woo-sik Seo and Bong Joon Ho are producers on the film. Okja is a Plan B, Lewis Pictures and Kate Street Picture Company production.
Okja will premiere globally on Netflix in 2017 and will also have a limited day and date theatrical release in the US. Netflix is also looking for theatrical partners for a day and date release in select international territories, including Korea.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015