After the success of its Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM), the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to launch the Mars 2 mission in 2018.
IRSO inserted the spacecraft MOM on September 24 in the Martian orbit with five scientific instruments to search for life-sustaining elements on the planet over nine months after it was launched on Nov 5, 2013 from its spaceport at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh, about 90 kms northeast of Chennai.
ISRO's satellite centre director S. Shiva Kumar stated, "We plan to launch a second mission to Mars in 2018, probably with a lander and rover, to conduct more experiments for which we have to develop new technologies."
"We will be able to take the Mars-2 mission after launching the second mission to the moon (Chandrayaan-2) in 2016 with our own lander and rover, which will help us develop a separate lander and rover for the red planet," Kumar said, ahead of a three-day 'Engineers Conclave-2014' by the space agency with the Indian National Academy of Engineering in Bangalore.
Shivakumar added that ISRO would launch Mars Mission-2 only after Chandrayaan-2 in 2016. As missions to Mars can be launched only at an interval of two years, the space agency is looking for a slot in 2018. The agency is planning to have a heavy rocket fully operational to carry a lander and rover with scientific experiments as additional payloads.
"We hope to have fully operational heavy rockets over the next two-three years for carrying communication satellites weighting two-three tonnes into the geo-stationary orbits around the earth," Kumar said.
Kumar added, "GSLV-Mark I-III will be used for Chandrayaan-2, which will have heavier payload than its predecessor (Chandrayaan-1) and later for Mars-2 mission, as both will have a lander and rover in addition to scientific experiments." Read: ISRO makes history as Mangalyaan enter Mars orbit
Source: Business Today
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015