Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Digital India’ and ‘Make in India’ campaign seems to be garnering a lot of attention. Even though that’s a good thing, that isn’t the point of discussion today. Information circulating the Internet suggests that PM Narendra Modi will meet Apple CEO Tim Cook during his US visit but the details of topic of discussion are still unknown.
It is expected that Apple is looking to invest in manufacturing and research & development in India. We have recently seen a number of smartphone makers looking to setup manufacturing in India. Foxconn, which is one of the manufacturers that makes the iPhone has set up shop in India. Could it be possible that we will see an iPhone being manufactured in India in the near future?
Apple has started considering India as a potential primary market for its gadgets. A few years ago, Apple devices would launch almost a year after their international release but now this gap has been reduced to a few weeks at best. Apple's latest launch, the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus, which were announced a few weeks ago, are expected to hit store shelves in India just in time for the Diwali holiday season.
Sales of Apple's iPhones have doubled in India in the past two years despite being a niche expensive gadget. However, it has to be noted that Indian consumers look at the iPhone as a status symbol device more than a functional smartphone. Recently we heard that the iPhone 6s and the 6s Plus have been preordered in the grey market in India for more than a lakh rupees.
Tim Cook isn’t the only high profile Silicon Valley individual who PM Narendra Modi will meet. Other people scheduled to meet the India Prime Minister Include Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Google CEO Sundar Pichai and Adobe Systems Inc President & CEO Shantanu Narayen.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015