Scientists from Gujarat have developed a driverless car prototype in just 28 days. Inspired by Google's self-driven cars, the car can start, change gears and turn all through commands given from an Android appWhere to buy 3499.
The driverless car is the brainchild of a Sanand-based engineering college professors and can deliver a top speed of 100 kmph. It is controlled by an Android appWhere to buy 3499 uses 3G wireless technology for communication. The five seater car has a screen displaying the route, and is equipped with six sophisticated night-vision cameras to prevent accidents.
Kaushal Jani, Assistant Professor at Amiraj College of Engineering, said, "We have used high range cameras and video streaming is available to us. Besides, we are using 3G wireless system for communication." The car which cost Rs 3 lakh, could be a boon for people with disabilities and transform the marketplace, Prof Jani said. The scientists also state that they are working on using the technology in other applications as well.
Nirav Desai, Assistant Professor at Amiraj College of Engineering, said, "We have put sensors for object detection. These prevent the car from hitting objects from either back or front."
Priyank Patel, Managing Trustee at Amiraj College of Engineering, said, "We have embarked on the concept of 'science beyond engineering' through which we encourage students to do things that might be of use to the society."
Campus Director Nitin Ralan added, "Various avenues are open for application of this technology, including commercial use.
The car is inspired by Google's self driven cars project which doesn't have any conventional controls like a steering wheel or accelerator. Reports about Apple working on a driverless i-Car are also making the rounds. Apart from this car makers Nissan, General Motors, and automotive supplier Continental are planning to launch self-driving cars by 2020.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015