In a report developing early morning today, Foxconn has finally completed the takeover over Japanese electronics maker, Sharp, in what has been reported to be a 700 billion Yen ($6.2 billion) deal. Nikkei Asia reported the news earlier, stating Sharp’s directorial board’s decision to accept the deal today morning. With such a deal falling in place, Foxconn may look to consolidate its status as device manufacturer and sourcing of equipment. Until now, Foxconn has been outsourcing display panels for the devices it manufactures from third-parties like Samsung or LG.
Despite its troubled financial status over recent times, Sharp has remained to have a considerable section of the market in televisions, and also supplies components for numerous companies. Foxconn may be looking to capitalise on Sharp’s expertise in display panels, and with this deal, will not need to rely on third party component manufacturers who also have consumer businesses parallely, like Samsung. Foxconn is also a major component manufacturer for Apple, and using components sourced from Apple’s direct rivals leads to dilution of Apple’s cash flows — a roadblock that may now be solved with Sharp joining Foxconn’s in-house team.
Sharp was also offered a bailout by Japan’s Innovation Network Corp., which offered cash injection of 300 billion Yen and credit line investment of 200 billion Yen. Last month, Foxconn's initial offering of 625 billion Yen ($5.57 billion) was reportedly rejected, with Japanese officials being wary of letting foreign authority take control of the company. Sharp, however, seems to have chosen Foxconn over other bids, and looks set to join forces with one of the world’s leading manufacturers of mobile equipment.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015