India's Border Security Force (BSF) is planning to set up laser walls along the international borders to stop infiltration. BSF is also considering other smart fencing systems such as anti-tunnel ground sensors and thermal sensors in the fenced stretches.
BSF plans to set up the laser walls in unfenced areas on the international border, which is about 15% along India-Pakistan and about 35% of India-Bangladesh. The authorities concern believe laser beams will form a wall in places in areas such as Jammu where fencing isn't feasible. Laser beams set off alarm in case of any breach.
BSF also plans to install seismic sensors to track underground infiltration. The sensors are supposed to record vibrations resulting from tunneling and notify the control room. These sensors are being planned along Indo-Pak border in Jammu and Punjab where maximum number of tunneling attempts are reported.
Security forces are also installing thermal sensors on fences so that the control rooms are alerted on anyone approaching the fence. "This would work as an advance alert system where one would have time to reach the area where infiltrators might be attempting cut a fence and enter. Or a smuggler may be trying to pass on a contraband packet," a BSF officer is quoted as saying.
"We're constantly modernizing our weaponry and upgrading defences according to the new challenges facing us. We have looked at some of these technologies and have found them suitable," BSF director general DK Pathak said.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015