Apple is making organ donation much easier for iPhone users in the US. The company has announced that the upcoming iOS 10 update will allow users to sign up as organ donors via the Health app. In order to achieve this, the company has partnered with Donate Life America and it says that the signup process is quite simple. Apple hopes that this will encourage more people to become organ, eye and tissue donors. The feature is currently only available to those in the US and hopefully it will be introduced in other countries as well.
In a statement, Apple noted that more than 120,000 Americans are currently waiting for a transplant and every 10 minutes, a new person is added to the organ transplant waiting list. Jeff Williams, Apple’s Chief Operating Officer stated, “Apple's mission has always been to create products that transform people’s lives. With the updated Health app, we’re providing education and awareness about organ donation and making it easier than ever to register. It’s a simple process that takes just a few seconds and could help save up to eight lives.”
The Health app on the iphone includes Medical ID that makes critical health information about the user accessible to emergency first responders. This feature usually displays categories such as medical conditions, allergies, medications, blood type, and emergency contacts. With the iOS 10 update, Medical ID will also give the option of registering as a donor with Donate Life America.
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015