Android's biggest criticism since its inception is the lack of robust security mechanism. Right from tech geeks to cybersecurity experts have preferred iPhone when it comes to security. However, Google's security engineer disagrees with the claim that Android is not secure.
Adrian Ludwig, the director of security at Android says Android and iOS are identical in terms of their platform-level capabilities. He says Google's Pixel and an iPhone are almost same when it comes to security and claims Android will be better soon enough. "In the long term, the open ecosystem of Android is going to put it in a much better place,” Adrian Ludwig told Vice's Motherboard at a recent security conference.
Android has been part of most commonly known security vulnerabilities like StageFright and QuadRooter. However, Ludwig says we are yet to see any real world exploitation of Android using these vulnerabilities. He added Safety Net, Android's built-in security product scans 400 million devices and checks nearly 6 billion apps per day for vulnerabilities and security threat.
Speaking at the O’Reilly Security Conference, Ludwig said less than 1 percent of Android smartphones contain malware. He also acknowledged that Android OEMs and carrier partners need to improve their update cycles and adopt security patches faster. “We got quite a bit of work left to do to get to a point where that actually happens on a regular basis across the whole the ecosystem,” Ludwig said.
Adrian Ludwig rules out mass exploitation of Android at any point and believes Android is secure enough that its almost impossible for someone to target a large number of people.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015