[UPDATE] Commenting on the development, Apple said, "We’ve been investing to expand our operations in India and are thrilled to have passionate customers and a vibrant developer community across the country. We are looking forward to opening a new development office in Hyderabad that will be home to over 150 Apple employees supporting maps development. The office will also have space for many contractors who will support our ambitious efforts locally."
According to a report from ZDNet, Cupertino based tech giant, Apple Inc, will soon be opening a technology development centre in Hyderabad, India. As per the report, Apple's new tech development centre will occupy 250,000 square feet of land in real estate firm Tishman Speyer's WaveRock facility at the Hyderabad's IT corridor. By doing so, Apple will be joining the likes of Microsoft & Google in opening an India development facility.
Word is that Apple will initially open doors to an innovation centre in June, followed by a full fledged facility by the end of 2016. The report goes on to suggest that Apple is looking to develop Maps for iPhone & Mac in india.
It should be noted that Hyderabad is being veiwed as an emerging development detination for international technology brands. During his India visit last year, Google CEO, Sundar Pichai had also revealed plans of opening one of South-Asia's biggest Google Facility in Hyderabad.
With Apple finally extablishing a strong base in India, there is lots to expect from the company. For one, we feel this will also open doors for the company to manufacture its devices in India, although Apple has repeatedly denied any such plans. We also expect a boost to certain Apple services like maps, music & Apple pay.
Recently, Apple had also made its first move to open Apple India retail stores. According to reports the company is well on its way to get the Indian Government's approval for the same. Let us know your thoughts on Apple's India plans in our comments section below.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015