PC gaming giant Valve announced a couple of things at GDC 2015 yesterday, including Steam Link, a video streaming box, and the Source 2 game engine, which will be available for free.
The Steam Link is a small media streaming box which will allow users to stream all their Steam content to any display. The Steam Link will allow users to stream content from a PC or a Steam machine on the same network. According to Steam, the Steam Link will support 60Hz streaming at 1080p with low latency. It will be available from Steam Store later this year for $49.99 (Rs. 3,100).
Another major news from Valve was the announcement of its new Source 2 engine. Valve has announced a new game engine after more than 10 years. Valve’s Jay Stelly said “Source 2 is designed not for just the professional developer, but enabling gamers themselves to participate in the creation and development of their favorite games."
Valve also announced that the new Source 2 game engine will be available for free to use for content developers. Epic had also recently revealed that its Unreal Engine 4 would also be free. Valve also announced that it will be releasing a Vulkan-compatible version of the Source 2 engine. “Vulkan is a cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D graphics API that allows game developers to get the most out of the latest graphics hardware”.
On a related note, Valve is working with HTC (HTC Vive) among other partners to make the SteamVR a mainstream consumer product. Valve announced that developer versions of the headsets will be available this spring and commercial units could go on sale before the end of this year.
Other Popular Deals
- Building a gaming PC under Rs. 50,000 (February 2017)E3 2015 Preview: 10 games worth looking forward to
- Computex 2015: New gaming gear from Roccat and Corsair13 new mobile games you should check out
- Bethesda E3 2015: Fallout 4, DOOM, Dishonored 2 and moreBest free racing games on Android (November 2016)
- The 15 best new games on Android (November 2015)10 great new PC games that you may not have heard of
- Building a gaming PC under Rs. 70,000 (November 2016)15 upcoming games that are worth the wait
- 15 awesome new games for Android (April 2015)Boom! Headshot! The 15 best video game guns
- 11 best Android games based on moviesThe 12 best free games for your PC
- The 15 best multiplayer games on AndroidThe 10 most memorable villains in gaming