Valve is removing the feature that allowed Steam users to pay for game mods. The move comes in the wake of angry criticism from many users who were against the feature. The announcement was made by Valve’s Alden Kroll through a post on the Steam Workshop. Kroll writes,
“We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree.”
In the post, Kroll also clarifies that users who had purchased the paid mods for their games will be refunded the full amount of their purchases. He also wrote that Valve still believes that there is a future in this area, but for the time being, the company is removing it.
The first paid mods that Valve made available were for Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. According to Valve, it intended to support the community through the paid mods for games. Kroll though wrote, “But we underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop. We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here.”
You can read Valve's entire blog post here.
Other Popular Deals
- E3 2015 Preview: 10 games worth looking forward toBuilding a gaming PC under Rs. 50,000 (November 2016)
- Computex 2015: New gaming gear from Roccat and Corsair13 new mobile games you should check out
- Best free racing games on Android (November 2016)Bethesda E3 2015: Fallout 4, DOOM, Dishonored 2 and more
- Building a gaming PC under Rs. 70,000 (November 2016)10 great new PC games that you may not have heard of
- The 15 best new games on Android (November 2015)15 upcoming games that are worth the wait
- 15 awesome new games for Android (April 2015)Boom! Headshot! The 15 best video game guns
- 11 best Android games based on moviesThe 12 best free games for your PC
- The 15 best multiplayer games on AndroidThe 10 most memorable villains in gaming