IE 8 Beta : The First Experience - Page 2
Menu

digit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IE 8 Beta : The First Experience

Default Re: IE 8 Beta : The First Experience

^Yea, and i dont know abt IE7 but IE6 cant even render png's properly.
    And to say that its got the major share!
    It(IE6) displays the transparent part of my avatar in black.
    Popular Gadget Deals
    Do what you will; but not because you must. -- Zen Quote

hmm.. no change in interface and even cant show any good benchmarking results in Acid3 test.it doesnt matter how IE performance and compatability has been boasted up in ver.8 its still a beta so will wait for the final release .but good to hear that IE 8 operatability has been boasted up unlike its prev. ver. which takes alot of time to start .

Thanks for the info
    Starting tonight... people will die. I'm a man of my word. - The Joker
    "You either die a hero... or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Quote Originally Posted by rayraven View Post
    Oh, wait , if it doesnt mean anything, why is MS working on getting standards right?
    Standard support means something, passing ACID test means nothing in real world.
    about.me/gxsaurav

it is faster than 7 on xp

check this out new in ie 8:

the site and . whatever is black whereas the rest is gray .... kinda nice
    Last edited by iMav; 06-03-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The problem that shows up with the three red lights on the console is a complex interaction with some very complex parts. - Robbie Bach

http://beingmanan.com
    twitter: manan | Last.FM: manan

^iMav, does IE8 display PNG's properly or is it still like IE6 in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post

It is a prevention mechanism from phishing.

^iMav, does IE8 display PNG's properly or is it still like IE6 in that area?
    The problem is fixed with IE 7 already.
    about.me/gxsaurav

Browsing much better than IE7 but firefox 3 beta 3 is much better than IE8
    Tipster Hosting

Wink Re: IE 8 Beta : The First Experience

I already quoted this on my review on my site

Quote Originally Posted by venom007 View Post
    Browsing much better than IE7 but firefox 3 beta 3 is much better than IE8
    Plz tell us what makes Firefox better then IE 8?
    about.me/gxsaurav

Quote Originally Posted by gx_saurav View Post
    Plz tell us what makes Firefox better then IE 8?
    Please do not start a flame war here.

I think that Firefox is better renderer than the IE and speedier too.

Also I presume IE 8 can automatically block online ads. I cant see any ads in Digit forum and some other places also when using IE 8 BETA.
    Anyone please confirm it.
    Last edited by debsuvra; 06-03-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

@debsuvra

Nice review. Even though it is in beta, there will not be much differences I guess ?

Hey, I can still browse all my orkut, facebook, myspace, evermotion, MSDN web pages fine in IE.
    Exactly, and this is same for FF ! In short - normal user can select FF or IE and it does not matter much for them.

Making site name black and other parts grayed - of course a good thing, but I doubt whether normal people will get that fast. I mean for a tech user, it is easy to see the site is phishing even without that, now if MS meant (the mechanism of graying the URL) it for the normal user, I am not sure whether it will help. Coz the user may not even see on address bar after he type in the url once. Most people will not even care whats there in address bar, where it goes etc.

Not offtopic, but thunderbird has an option - if the message has some ip address or some phishing url (typed url different form link) it will show a warning message on top which is very clear and visible. If IE comes up with a similar mechanism it will help a lot.

Favorites bar - Is it a new thing ? I am confused, isn't it the same thing that is in Mozilla / FF has ages back itself ? Please correct me if I am wrong.And we need not click to add to fav in FF. We can just drag n drop which I find very useful .

Crash Recovery - Again, FF has it I think ? Recovering all tabs and pages which we were browsing. Or this is something different ?

Activities - Sounds interesting, will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by debsuvra View Post
    I think that Firefox is better renderer than the IE and speedier too.
    Right now Firefox's engine is better then IE 7. However with IE 8 this will change as IE 8 has a much better engine, which is a lot standard complient just like firefox. So the rendering engine difference will be nullified with IE 8.

Exactly, and this is same for FF ! In short - normal user can select FF or IE and it does not matter much for them.
    Yup, plz tell this to those who compare IE 8 with Firefox on the basis of a benchmark which doesn't even matter.

Making site name black and other parts grayed - of course a good thing, but I doubt whether normal people will get that fast. I mean for a tech user, it is easy to see the site is phishing even without that, now if MS meant (the mechanism of graying the URL) it for the normal user, I am not sure whether it will help. Coz the user may not even see on address bar after he type in the url once. Most people will not even care whats there in address bar, where it goes etc
    This is just a notification. Normal people will see a prompt that the site is fake.

Favorites bar - Is it a new thing ? I am confused, isn't it the same thing that is in Mozilla / FF has ages back itself ? Please correct me if I am wrong.And we need not click to add to fav in FF. We can just drag n drop which I find very useful .

Crash Recovery - Again, FF has it I think ? Recovering all tabs and pages which we were browsing. Or this is something different ?
    It's not a new feature, but it is a new feature for IE.

IE 8 with IE 7 pro has almost everything Firefox has to offer generally. If you use a specific extention in Firefox, chances are it is also available for IE in some sort of plugin form.
    about.me/gxsaurav

Red face Re: IE 8 Beta : The First Experience

Right now Firefox's engine is better then IE 7. However with IE 8 this will change as IE 8 has a much better engine, which is a lot standard complient just like firefox. So the rendering engine difference will be nullified with IE 8.
    I wish the engine will be better in the final version. Don't tell me that the IE8 beta engine is at par with FF. IE 8 cannot render a lot of website properly as of now. For example, go to www.apple.com and check the search bar is displaced. Also it cannot display MS owned site www.tafiti.com properly.

Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    @debsuvra

Nice review. Even though it is in beta, there will not be much differences I guess ?

Making site name black and other parts grayed - of course a good thing, but I doubt whether normal people will get that fast. I mean for a tech user, it is easy to see the site is phishing even without that, now if MS meant (the mechanism of graying the URL) it for the normal user, I am not sure whether it will help. Coz the user may not even see on address bar after he type in the url once. Most people will not even care whats there in address bar, where it goes etc.

Not offtopic, but thunderbird has an option - if the message has some ip address or some phishing url (typed url different form link) it will show a warning message on top which is very clear and visible. If IE comes up with a similar mechanism it will help a lot.

Activities - Sounds interesting, will give it a try.
    what is ur point? the features have been a part of other browsers and now have made way into IE doesnt that make IE 8 better than its predecors in other words IE is now as a good a browser in features as others which means that ff and opera only have brand loyalists for themselves and average joe has more than what they need of a browser in IE

when IE did not have certain features people say wtf it does not have this it doesnot have that and when IE gets those features then people start saying wtf this is already thr that is already thr in other browsers

IE 8 is as i said faster than IE 8 on xp time to make IE as the default browser again
    "The problem that shows up with the three red lights on the console is a complex interaction with some very complex parts. - Robbie Bach

I am not into browser flame wars lol.

Anyway my point - the "new" features listed by IE is new to IE only, it was already there in other browsers, so people who shifted to FF or any other browser because of all the problems of older versions of IE - will not go back to IE. That is my point. Got it ?

Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by this (I am not good in English )
    which means that ff and opera only have brand loyalists for themselves
    If you meant FF and Opera are used by fanboys only - You are absolutely wrong. A large majority of users shifted from IE to FF or Opera because of the IE issues, IE vulnerabilities, IE more prone to attacks, viruses etc. Yes, I agree IE has changed a lot, but it will not be an easy task for MS to bring back those who already said good-bye to IE, unless IE 8 prove to be the best one.

!! RecuZant By Birth !! naveen_reloaded's Avatar

nice to see lots of tiny nice features...
    Know My Thoughts..
    Visit my Blog @ www.Urssiva.com
    Visit My Tech Blog @ www.CloudTechnica.com

iv been using ie 8 and found that it has a lot of quirks in it as in:

page alignments are not proper (pages were proper in 7 but are shifted to the left too much in 8)

hotmail mail page is not opening at all

man think digit forum is loading like a hell of mess in IE8 rest Gmail / Yahoo is performing faster than IE7, much much faster
    rebooting
    ChotoCheeta.com

^^^ Time for lazy developers to code there websites according to web standards
    about.me/gxsaurav

^^

hey thats over optimestic or rather may be I have made a mistake on my POST... all vBulletine forums are giving problem
    rebooting
    ChotoCheeta.com

Quote Originally Posted by Choto Cheeta View Post
    ^^

hey thats over optimestic or rather may be I have made a mistake on my POST... all vBulletine forums are giving problem
    I am also facing problem with VB in IE8
    YagHost.com - Pure SSD web Hosting

In The Zone

i downloaded ie8 and installed it today morning...seemed okay...but i'm sticking to firefox...

Well, developers & users asked for better & full web standard support in IE 8, now Microsoft has given us this along with support for old IE 7 rendering mode. Users & developers have no right to complain now, Microsoft gave them what they asked for, if there website is not standard complient, it is there problem not Microsoft's problem.

IE 8 engine right now is not 100%, & there will be more optimisation & changes by the time final version of IE 8 comes. IE 7 UI & Application is already good & all MS has to do is to change the rendering engine, but some new features are not bad either.

Time for developers & us users to stop complaining & start making websites with proper web standards so that they work properly in IE 8, Firefox 3, Opera 9.5 & Safari 3 equally. If there is a site which isn't coded properly with web standards & uses hacks to work properly in IE, then we can always use the IE 7 Mode.

Seems like web site compatibility wise IE 8 is best among all the browsers. Standard & non-standard complient websites both work flawlessly.
    about.me/gxsaurav

Anyway my point - the "new" features listed by IE is new to IE only,
    +1

people who shifted to FF or any other browser because of all the problems of older versions of IE - will not go back to IE.
    Experiencing it myself and agree.

Even if they say that IE 8 passes the "acid test", still it freezes a lot at startup, sometimes while jumping between windows or tabs or while loading a page. I know this release is a beta package, but from my personal experience, I can tell you that its unlikely that the final release will solve this problem either. First I moved to opera and still like it. But there were few Opera non-compliant websites which I needed to visit regularly, so I later changed to FF. Not that FF is 100% free from any problems, but yes, I feel more comfortable because its doesn't test my patience. It loads the pages without freezing. This is what I want. I don't want eye-candy, I want content.

Ofcourse, this is purely my personal opinion. You are free to use any browser of your choice, and I know you will do it

I sometimes pity IE, don't why Microsoft has been treating it as an illegitimate child! IE has been fast increasing its version numbers but my satisfaction of using IE isn't increasing in that proportion.

iv been using ie 8 and found that it has a lot of quirks in it as in:

page alignments are not proper (pages were proper in 7 but are shifted to the left too much in 8)

hotmail mail page is not opening at all
    I have even problems with position: absolute; and position: relative; in mycode.
    Last edited by victor_rambo; 06-03-2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    विक्टर रॅंबो - चाणकया प्रभावित व्यक्ति

गीक होना माँगता

Cool Re: IE 8 Beta : The First Experience

Quote Originally Posted by debsuvra View Post
    Also I presume IE 8 can automatically block online ads. I cant see any ads in Digit forum and some other places also when using IE 8 BETA.
    Anyone please confirm it.
    Hey guys, I previous said about the ad blocker feature present in IE8. Please confirm it over here.

BTW how was the review ? May I get some feedback ??

all you happy go lucky fanboys and betesters argue whatever you want, but I am still stcking to my faithful and customised Firefox 2.0.0.12
    [url]http://TheSmallerBang.wordpress.com[/url]
    eMachines E725 - Intel T4400 @ 2.2GHz, 5GB DDR3 RAM, 160GB Hitachi HDD

@totally offtopic
    Users & developers have no right to complain now, Microsoft gave them what they asked for, if there website is not standard complient, it is there problem not Microsoft's problem.
    I am confused, Did Bill Gates hacked gx's account in Digit Forum and posted this ??

Quote Originally Posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
    all you happy go lucky fanboys and betesters argue whatever you want, but I am still stcking to my faithful and customised Firefox 2.0.0.12
    You have to, IE is not available in Linux . You have no choise of rendering engine in Linux.

In Windows we have IE (maximum compatibility with standard & non-standard complient websites), Firefox (lots of extensions, powerful, memory hog, non native, incompatible with IE only sites), Opera (don't know much), Safari (Webkit, engine is good, browser is pathetic).

In Linux you have Firefox, Opera & Webkit, well....seems like we Windows users are enjoying maximum compatibility & performance now

am confused, Did Bill Gates hacked gx's account in Digit Forum and posted this ??
    Nope, I am gonna sue him if he hacks my account. I got my super secret weight loss recipe in my skydrive as a PDF file that's why
    about.me/gxsaurav

You have to, IE is not available in Linux . You have no choise of rendering engine in Linux.
    And we are not feeling any bad coz we dont have it.
    We've got enuf browsers.
    In Linux you have Firefox, Opera & Webkit, well....seems like we Windows users are enjoying maximum compatibility & performance now
    We also have KHTML based Konqueror, KHTML is not exactly Webkit.
    So, that leaves , IE..and as i said....we dont really need it anyways.
    Lolz, we have been enjoying standards compatibility with KHTML and Opera for ages now, and now you guys get a beta of a software that supposedly complies to standards and all you can do is go around and jump saying "We've got compatibility".
    Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by rayraven View Post
    Lolz, we have been enjoying standards compatibility with KHTML and Opera for ages now, and now you guys get a beta of a software that supposedly complies to standards and all you can do is go around and jump saying "We've got compatibility".
    Pathetic.
    Wait, Firefox, Safari, Opera are not available on Windows , aren't we also enjoying compatibility since ages
    about.me/gxsaurav