Dual boot ubuntu with windows 8
Menu

digit

Thread: Dual boot ubuntu with windows 8

Right Off the Assembly Line Pranav Prakash's Avatar

Default Dual boot ubuntu with windows 8

I installed ubuntu 12.04 LTS alongside widows 8 recently. After completing the installation my laptop directly booted into windows 8 and there was no sign of ubuntu. after that I used easy bcd to add ubuntu to add it to boot menu. I got option to start ubuntu. I selected that option but after that it showed an error which read something like' install cd for repair - there might be some with the file blah blah'. So i reinstalled ubuntu with custom installation but still it didn't work. I tried all those boot repair in ubuntu but still no result. If anyone there can help pleaseeeeeeeeeee help
    My laptop is hp pavilion g6 2202tx, with uefi.

Alpha Geek

Default Re: Dual boot ubuntu with windows 8

Give this a read. You should have a 64-bit installer to install in EFI mode. You may also need to disable quick boot from the BIOS.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

Which version of Ubuntu you installed on your system ?? 32 bit or 64 bit ??
    In war, Victory. In peace, Vigilance. In death, Sacrifice.

SteamID, Origin ID, Raptr, FB, Desura, XFire, Rockstar Social Club - Gameranand
    UbiPlay - Anandgamer

Super Moderator

welcome to the new world of UEFI bios.i first faced this bios about a week ago with a friend's G6-2230TX & after spending ~2 hours learned about all there is to know about such bios.first hp G-6 series(in my experience) gives priority to UEFI over MBR/old/normal bios meaning any 64-bit OS will automatically install by partitioning the hdd using GPT style instead of the usual MBR style.if you use usb to install windows 7/8 then again it will fail because usb tool by default format usb in NTFS & UEFI bios only reads from FAT format drives.easyBCD has lots of issues in UEFI & only the latest version(2.2 or later) supports UEFI & any version before that will corrupt your UEFI boot entries.long story short if you don't know about UEFI bios & trying to install any OS other than windows 7/8(64bit) then stop right there & spend time reading about it on both windows & linux/ubuntu forums.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?