Is donating to Unicef legitimate?
Menu

digit

Thread: Is donating to Unicef legitimate?

Default Is donating to Unicef legitimate?

Recently this popup/ad keeps coming up on the screen and I am sure you guys have seen it already. I was wondering if it's legitimate or not? I mean will the amount go at appropriate place or just another crap and stealing method for different needs? You know what I mean.
    https://www.donatetounicef.org/?camp...surjan13appnex

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Is donating to Unicef legitimate?

The security seal on their page (near the credit card section) doesnt lead back to the security vendor. Could be just bad design, but its suspicious anyway.
    HP Pavillion dv4 3016tx | i5 2.33GHz | ATI HD6750M 1GB | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD
    Grado SR60i | Panasonic HJE120 | Soundmagic E10 | Soundmagic PL50 | Signature Acoustics C-12 | Sony MDR-XB90EX | Lumia 920 (RIP) | Lumia 520 | Nokia N70 | Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray
    Canon EOS 600D | 18-55mm IS II f3.5-5.6 | 50mm f1.8
    www.flickr.com/photos/91328332@N07/sets/72157632798523688/

Banned

Site check report for donatetounicef.org ()

well it looks alright ..

hostip.info :

Host name: 216.172.169.174
    IP address: 216.172.169.174

hmm website hosted by hostgator.... ...

Extended Validation (EV)
    This SSL Certificate will not display a green address bar in the visitors browser, nor the identity of the website owner or the Certificate Authority. EV SSL Certificates have the highest level of trust and security.

no EV

Quote Originally Posted by ithehappy View Post
    Recently this popup/ad keeps coming up on the screen and I am sure you guys have seen it already. I was wondering if it's legitimate or not? I mean will the amount go at appropriate place or just another crap and stealing method for different needs? You know what I mean.
    https://www.donatetounicef.org/?camp...surjan13appnex

Thanks in advance.

www.unicef.org.in leads to https://www.donatetounicef.org/?camp=sparshmar2012

[S] well its a fake. [/S]

http://www.ewhois.com/unicef.org.in/

Created On:07-Mar-2012 05:41:36 UTC
    Last Updated On:23-May-2012 07:01:47 UTC
    Expiration Date:07-Mar-2013 05:41:36 UT

also check this ... the official donate to unicef : http://www.ewhois.com/supportunicefindia.org/

http://in.linkedin.com/in/yvats - one of the admins according to whois lookup.
    Last edited by NoasArcAngel; 22-01-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoasArcAngel View Post
    Site check report for donatetounicef.org ()

well it looks alright ..

hostip.info :

Host name: 216.172.169.174
    IP address: 216.172.169.174

hmm website hosted by hostgator.... ...

Extended Validation (EV)
    This SSL Certificate will not display a green address bar in the visitors browser, nor the identity of the website owner or the Certificate Authority. EV SSL Certificates have the highest level of trust and security.

no EV

www.unicef.org.in leads to https://www.donatetounicef.org/?camp=sparshmar2012

[S] well its a fake. [/S]

Unicef.org.in - Unicef - Whois Lookup, Reverse IP Lookup

Created On:07-Mar-2012 05:41:36 UTC
    Last Updated On:23-May-2012 07:01:47 UTC
    Expiration Date:07-Mar-2013 05:41:36 UT
    So this one is fake as well. Good
    also check this ... the official donate to unicef : Supportunicefindia.org - Supportunicefindia - Whois Lookup, Reverse IP Lookup

Yashasvi Vats (yash@vats.name) LION 1000+ - India | LinkedIn - one of the admins according to whois lookup.
    So this one is legit? I get a page like this,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ithehappy; 22-01-2013 at 09:12 PM.

This is the real one, took one search in google: https://www.supportunicefindia.org/D...portUSNew.aspx
    Project Halcyon V3 - 2600k, Z68Vpro, R9280X , 2x4GB DDR3, G105, Deathadder
    Project Odeon V2 - Dell 15R N5520- i3 3110M @ 2.4GHz, 6GB DDR3, HD 7670M
    Accessories - LG G2, Panasonic FZ150, Koss PortaPro, HD180, Netgear JNR1010

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks for confirming.

Banned

So this one is fake as well. Good

So this one is legit? I get a page like this,
    yup as db6mg already pointed out thats the real one. Btw id suggest if you wish to make such transactions, making it in person is always the best. better than that help the needy yourself.

besides.. before making any donations to such organisation do check where your money is going..
    things like Salaries of Charity CEOs Compared - Urban Legends should matter to you when your putting your hard earned money for good cause
    AMD Athlon II X4 635, MSI 880GMA - E45, Corsair value 2GB x 2, FSP Saga II 500W, APC UPS 600VA, Zebronix Bijli, Logitec Classic Mouse and keyboard
    Lumix FZ35 Camera
    Blog@ www.amoghdesai.com, www.electronicsforum.in

yup as db6mg already pointed out thats the real one. Btw id suggest if you wish to make such transactions, making it in person is always the best. better than that help the needy yourself.
    I already have been doing this for more than 5 years now. Just 3 institutions I'm connected with, but still. Problem is I can't manage time to be present by myself, that's why I was thinking about online.
    Quote Originally Posted by desai_amogh View Post
    besides.. before making any donations to such organisation do check where your money is going..
    things like Salaries of Charity CEOs Compared - Urban Legends should matter to you when your putting your hard earned money for good cause
    I'll check what that is. Thanks.

In The Zone

for online donation "giveindia" is a good option..You can register your account and then select your cause and organization you want to donate to.you can also set up automatic deduction.I am using it since last 5 years..

I'll check what that is. Thanks.
    thts just the 1st link which came up in google search.. most of these international organisations have made charity a business.. profits are shared as salaries amounting to millions of dollars...
    AMD Athlon II X4 635, MSI 880GMA - E45, Corsair value 2GB x 2, FSP Saga II 500W, APC UPS 600VA, Zebronix Bijli, Logitec Classic Mouse and keyboard
    Lumix FZ35 Camera

Banned

there was this joke, for every dollar you donate to unicef, 3 cents goes to charity and 97 cents to the salaries

there was this joke, for every dollar you donate to unicef, 3 cents goes to charity and 97 cents to the salaries
    And from that link I think its true, f'n cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by tkin View Post
    And from that link I think its true, f'n cheats.
    From which link, the one I posted in OP?

From which link, the one I posted in OP?
    No, the one posted by desai_amogh.

Oh I see.

charity is the biggest pure profit business atleast in India.
    Last edited by avinandan012; 25-01-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    steam :[URL="http://steamcommunity.com/id/chery012/"]chery012[/URL] | gameranger: ja$oN
    garena : avinandan012
    Audio Equipment: [URL="http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/reviews/168384-edifier-c2-review.html"]Edifier C2[/URL]
    Android : Galaxy Grand
    [URL="http://www.change.org/petitions/create-an-indian-server-for-dota-2-we-want-a-indian-server-for-dota-2#share"]sign petition for indian dota 2 server[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by avinandan012 View Post
    charity is the biggest pure profit business atleast in India.
    +1. Mostly true if not always.

Wanna do charity? Do it yourself, something as small as 10 rupees instead of 1 to an elderly/weak beggar is a good starting point.. (Now, don't accuse me of supporting begging. I know what I am doing and I'll be very pissed if some wannabe samaj-sudharak pulls that argument out of his mouth) In fact I much prefer to do that instead of donating to organisations (never, Simply because I dont know how it'll be used, who is going to benefit out of it or how much of it actually reaches the people-in-need). Or you could send some money to the bank accounts of some poor kid who is suffering from some disease and his parents are unable to fund the treatment. You see such appeals on newspapers on an almost daily basis. They can be fake as well, but I generally make a call to the phone number given and talk a little bit and convince myself of the case (Not very foolproof, but still, I think we can pretty much make out from the voice at the other end...)
    Grado SR60i | Panasonic HJE120 | Soundmagic E10 | Soundmagic PL50 | Signature Acoustics C-12 | Sony MDR-XB90EX | Lumia 920 (RIP) | Lumia 520 | Nokia N70 | Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray

^ +1

There are 100s of oldage homes or orphanages around every city/states. instead of donating money (i mean if you really want to make sure ur money is going for a good cause) go check with the autorities what their rquirements are. buy books, clothes, food for them. At best even if you give them sweets on a weekend, etc...
    Lumix FZ35 Camera

It's very easy to say, 'do it yourself'. Well to do these things, I need to run a business first, that's what gives me the juice to contribute to some unfortunate people, I hate the term poor, everyone is poor at some point. Besides there is a limitation of 'do it yourself', I mean it's limited to a confined area. That's why I wanted to go online, as I said. If Unicef and those institutions are cheating then obviously that's their problem, but mine :/
    Besides, I am already 'doing it myself' as I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by pranav0091 View Post
    +1. Mostly true if not always.

Wanna do charity? Do it yourself, something as small as 10 rupees instead of 1 to an elderly/weak beggar is a good starting point.. (Now, don't accuse me of supporting begging. I know what I am doing and I'll be very pissed if some wannabe samaj-sudharak pulls that argument out of his mouth) In fact I much prefer to do that instead of donating to organisations (never, Simply because I dont know how it'll be used, who is going to benefit out of it or how much of it actually reaches the people-in-need). Or you could send some money to the bank accounts of some poor kid who is suffering from some disease and his parents are unable to fund the treatment. You see such appeals on newspapers on an almost daily basis. They can be fake as well, but I generally make a call to the phone number given and talk a little bit and convince myself of the case (Not very foolproof, but still, I think we can pretty much make out from the voice at the other end...)

^^
    I understand your intention buddy, its a very honorable one
    But I'd suggest you to build up your cash reserves rather than making donations on suspicious looking sites. Because the way I see it, its not the donation amount that actually matters, rather its the impact that it has on the lives of the less fortunate. I have come up from a comparatively economically-poor family myself and I know how it feels (or so I think). I was lucky enough to have atleast enough to eat for all the regular meals and a roof over my head, but I also realise that charity is not about the money alone, its more about the impact on the people concerned. I do understand that a lot of us dont have the time to personally make time for charity, but isnt it better to have a person in need to actually benefit from your contribution than some random person using up your well-intentioned/hard-earned donation to buy the latest hot-wheels set to his kids? Just my opinion

Yeah, you're right, totally.
    But what a shame this institutions are, they are cheating with donation money, jeez!