Please help me finalizing my PC upgrade path. I have been using a rig that has C2D 2GC (E4400) proccesor paired with 2 Gig of ram for about 5 years now. It had a Nvidia 7300GS (512 MB) gfx card. Although it had served me quite well till now, I think the time has come to move on.
My basic usage - Lots and lots of browsing (most of the times 7,8 windows with 4-8 tabs each) + Occassional 1080p HD vids playback + VM + a very little of software and graphics development. I NEVER have/will play games in my machine.
I expect my upgrade to stay good for atleast 5~6 years ahead. After this span I will most probably again go for a full upgrade - hence futureproofing is not very critical - as long as it can give me average performance in this period.
I am slightly inclined towards intel right now because of the below reasons. However I am open for suggestions.
1. AMD FX 8350 has no integrated graphics ==> I have to buy an extra graphic card.
Here I assume that if I go for an intel 4th gen i5, the inbuilt graphics will be sufficient for my above requirements. In case this presumption is incorrect, you pros please guide me.
2. AMD power consumption is greater (My PC will be on for most part of the day)
The above fact means more heat which enforces the importance of cooling. From reviews, I understand that for getting the best out of fx8350 (i.e performance comparable to 4th G i5) I have to overclock it. Though I am willing to go that way, if I can get equivalent performance without oc at a slight cost premium, I would prefer that. And again overclocking ==> proper cooling system ==> 3-5k extra.
* - The 'slight' word above can be taken as 3k. If I can overclock 8350 and achieve equivalent performance of i5 and thereby save atleast 3k I will take that route. Or if the difference is going to be less than 3k I will go for intel itself.
The Intel processor I am considering is i5 - 4670. If I am buying intel I am NOT planning to overclock it. So I presume that stock cooling will be sufficient. My budget for the package is 30K. Budget is not very strict but I am extending it only if it is seriously worth it.
So long story short,
AMD ==> Proccy + Mobo + Gfx card + Cooler = 30k,
INTEL ==> Proccy + Mobo = 30k
In case I am left with some money I will consider going for i7 - 4770...
Now dear friends, Let me know that my two presumptions are ok. And also suggest me which path to take. In case I can go for intel, what about H87 chipset ? In particular the ASROCK H87 PRO4 mobo? Will I miss something if I leave out Z87 (because I am finding Z87 costlier than H87 counterparts for no reason??)
One more small preference I have is atleast 4 usb3 connectors at the rear and 2 at the front (header). Please offer your suggestions. Though I only need suggestions for the key components, I have answered the questionaire to make things clear.
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: lots of browsing (most of the times 7,8 windows with 4-8 tabs each) + Occassional 1080p HD vids playback + VM + a very little of software and graphics development. I NEVER have/will play games in my machine.
2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 30K (mobo+proccy+gfx)
3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Only if its worth it ( > 3k advantage)
4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Linux - flavour keeps changing
5. How much hard drive space is needed?
6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No (Dell 2240L - 22 " 1080p)
7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: HDD, Monitor
8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: within a month
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: have built many. I will be doing this myself.
10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Blore. Prefer Online shopping.
11. Anything else which you would like to say?
I already have a seagate barracuda 2TB and dell 2240L to go with my rig. I am expecting a 2x to 4x performance boost to my present config! ( and hopefully I can leave my VM always on..!).
1. Kindly recommend PSU/Coolers(if reqd) also - outside above 30k.
2. What I may add in future : an SSD maybe, and a Graphics card (very faint chance)