[Help] Using BSNL ADSL Modem Wifi Router for Cable (Wishnet) connection
Menu

digit

Thread: [Help] Using BSNL ADSL Modem Wifi Router for Cable (Wishnet) connection

Apprentice

Default [Help] Using BSNL ADSL Modem Wifi Router for Cable (Wishnet) connection

Hi guys, I am again presenting you guys with another question Please help me on this.....

BSNL Modem - SL2_141 ADSL MODEM (Type-B) MENU

Picture

I know the picture is veyr very descriptive didnt want to leave anything

As you can see the above BSNL router has 4 lan ports and a dsl port. There is no 5th Ethernet port like in this router (below) D-Link Wireless N 150 Router (DIR-524)

Cable Connection : Wishnet Kolkata

How to connect : Opening any browser take you to a deflaut page where you have to give username password to connect.
    I asked the wishnet guys whether multiple computers can be used, they said it is possible (though cant really rely on them, they say anything to sell their product).

Question - >

1) Can this cable connection be used with a wifi router to share the net connection among multiple computers/wifi enabled mobile ??

2) If the first answer is YES, then can my BSNL modem shown above be used as the wifi router ??

3) If second is no, please can comeone point to an appropriate method to do what i asked for in question 1 ??
    If second is a YES ( really good news for me ), please can someone direct to a appropriate method ??

Eagerly waiting for some replies, my decision of taking Wishnet will be based on your answers !!

Thanks.

Alpha Geek

Default Re: [Help] Using BSNL ADSL Modem Wifi Router for Cable (Wishnet) connection

You can use your WIFI modem simply as WIFI a 4 port switch .. and WIFI hotspot device.

Just think it as a switch and then rest is simple.

I am not sure that if no ADSL is used as source internet, then it can be used as router for connection through RJ45 port (Lan port)
    ~Ricky

Still looking for someone to partner with : http://linuxsolved.com

Apprentice

Default Re: [Help] Using BSNL ADSL Modem Wifi Router for Cable (Wishnet) connection

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    You can use your WIFI modem simply as WIFI a 4 port switch .. and WIFI hotspot device.

Just think it as a switch and then rest is simple.

I am not sure that if no ADSL is used as source internet, then it can be used as router for connection through RJ45 port (Lan port)
    yes that is also a tricky part, is the 5th "ehternet/internet" labelled post used as source internet or any port can be used as source internet (that is the line from the cable operators)

Apprentice

BUMP
    guys please help!

If the Wishnet is using always ON connection then I think it is possible. But it seems you are using some other mode may be bridging. Don't worry, let me try this with my BSNL Modem/Router and ASUS. I will tell you if it works or not.
    AMD FX 8350 \\ CM Seidon 120XL H2O Cooling \\ ASuS CrossHair V Formula-Z \\ Zotac GTX 780 3GB \\ 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance \\ Seasonic 80+ Platinum SS-1000XP PSU \\ 5TB (5 x 1TB) SATA-III HDDs \\ Antec Eleven Hundred Cabby \\ Logitech G105 KB \\ Logitech G502 Mouse \\ LG 3D D2342P 23″
    **Netgear R7000 \\ One+ \\ Nexus 5 \\ Nexus 7C-LTE \\ OPPO R815 \\ Lenovo G505S \\ Odroid-U3 x2 **

Right Off the Assembly Line

Quote Originally Posted by TheGUNNER View Post
    Question - >

1) Can this cable connection be used with a wifi router to share the net connection among multiple computers/wifi enabled mobile ??

2) If the first answer is YES, then can my BSNL modem shown above be used as the wifi router ??

3) If second is no, please can comeone point to an appropriate method to do what i asked for in question 1 ??
    If second is a YES ( really good news for me ), please can someone direct to a appropriate method ??
    Answers:

1) Yes

2) No, BSNL Modem cannot be used for sharing the cable connection. The Reason, BSNL provides ADSL 2+ router which is a router+modem. As you can see, BSNL router takes RJ-11(telephone wire) as a input, whereas your cable connection might have provided you with RJ-45(Ethernet cable). So, not possible in this case.

3) For sharing your cable connection you need a wi fi router which takes RJ-45 as input as in this case:

So, you need to buy this kind of router.
    => LG Optimus One P500
    Android 2.3.7 CyanogenMod 7.2.0 RC0 :twisted:
    => HP Pavilion dv6140Tx
    Intel Core i7 2630QM CPU @2Ghz
    ATI Radeon HD 6770M

1.yes.
    2. Will report soon.
    Macbook Air 11"2011,Iphone 4S 16GB,Ipad2,Sennheiser HD-25 1-II,HD650,FiiO(E11,E17...yeh! I know!I need an upgrade)

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by williamcharles View Post
    Answers:

1) Yes

2) No, BSNL Modem cannot be used for sharing the cable connection. The Reason, BSNL provides ADSL 2+ router which is a router+modem. As you can see, BSNL router takes RJ-11(telephone wire) as a input, whereas your cable connection might have provided you with RJ-45(Ethernet cable). So, not possible in this case.

3) For sharing your cable connection you need a wi fi router which takes RJ-45 as input as in this case:

So, you need to buy this kind of router.

yes it worked, i am using a router only ( as shown in your picture) and sharing my net connection with many computers and over wifi !!

Right off the assembly line

Thumbs up Re: [Help] Using BSNL ADSL Modem Wifi Router for Cable (Wishnet) connection

Yes and yes. I have recently migrated from BSNL Broadband to Wishnet Broadband. I have Digisol DG-BG4011N router and am using the same to shre the network to a desktop (through RJ45), laptop (over WIFI) and a mobile phone (over WIFI). Though I can only access internet in only one device at a particular time as they (Wishnet) provides you with only one IP address.

Apprentice

actually yes, it acts as a switch.
    Although I used to use my desktop connected via lan and mobile via wifi simultaneously.