External or Internal TV tuner?
Menu

digit

View Poll Results: External or Internal TV tuner?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • External TV tuner

7 30.43%
  • Internal TV tuner

16 69.57%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: External or Internal TV tuner?

Default External or Internal TV tuner?

Well this is a weird one,I have recently bought a Syncmaster 940BW LCD which has both VGA(DB15) and DVI(DB9) ports.Now I wud understand that a LCD uses much less electricity than a CRT.Having said that my Zebby cabinet uses a 500W PSU.Well I wud like to put forward 2 situations.Which one do u guys feel better.Using a internal video card which wud mean that the mammoth PSU runs all the time the TV is running.OR,using the DVI port to connect the monitor to the Cabinet and using a VGA cable to connect the monitor to an external TV Tuner,thereby running the LCD and only the TV Tuner and not the CPU while watching TV.
    Popular Gadget Deals
    C2D E6600,Asus P5N32 e SLI,1GB 667mhz,Samsung 940BW,Zeb 8600GT,Seagate 250GB sata II,16x Sony(OEM) dvd RW,Zeb Anitibiotic & Platinum 500W,Microsoft desktop pro 700,bluetooth,Logitech MX Revolution

Default Re: External or Internal TV tuner?

Now My Problem Is I'am Concerned With The Picture Quality Of External Tv Tuners?
    C2D E6600,Asus P5N32 e SLI,1GB 667mhz,Samsung 940BW,Zeb 8600GT,Seagate 250GB sata II,16x Sony(OEM) dvd RW,Zeb Anitibiotic & Platinum 500W,Microsoft desktop pro 700,bluetooth,Logitech MX Revolution

Wise Old Owl

I'd suggest going with the external tuner. Why run all the components of the PC just to watch TV when an external tuner can do it with the PC off? If you watch TV a lot, you could save a bundle on electricity bills.
    Picture quality of external tuners is as good as if not better than that of internal tuners.
    Plus you can always connect the external tuner to the PC via USB should you feel the need to record a programme.
    Only downside of external tuners is that they're more expensive than internal tuners, but even then they are quite affordable.
    IMO external components are preferable because if you load your cabinet with too many peripherals, it tends to heat up. An internal tuner is going to be right in the path of your graphics card's fan, so if you're an OC'er keep your cabinet as empty as possible.

bang bang!

If u r gonna record shows/programmes then I suggest u to go for internal tv tuner coz they r good for recording if not then u may go for external coz u can watch t.v with pc off.

Wise Old Owl

External tuners are perfectly good for recording.

Hey I was wondering which external tv tuner shud be pretty good within a bracket of say Rs.1000/- (eg:Techcom)

Chk out:Tech-Com SSD-TV-722 (External) TV Tuner Card
    http://www.techcomindia.com/itemdeta...SSD%2DTV%2D722

FEATURES
    ADOPTING DIGITAL ARISING FREQUENCY TECHNOLOGY,IT CAN SUPPORT 8 KINDS OF OUTPUT MODE: 640X480X60Hz
    800X600X60Hz/75Hz
    24X768X60Hz/75Hz
    1280X1024X60Hz/75Hz

PREVIEWING ALL PROGRAMS IN 4,9 OR 16 PICTURES
    PICTURE IN PICTURE FUNCTION,DISPLAYING TEH PICTURE OF TV PROGRAM ON THE STATUS OF PC.
    SUPPORTS ALL TFT MONITORS
    NO SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE REQUIRED
    STORED UPTO 150 CHANNELS
    CONNECT TO CAMERA/VCD/DVD/TV GAME PLAYER
    BEST IMAGE QUALITY WITH 24 BIT COLOUR
    JUST SIMPLY PLUG AND PLAY
    SPECIFICATIONS

FULL SUBJOINING CHANNEL RECEIVING,COMPATIBLE WITH CABLE TV AND WIRELESS TV SIGNAL

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

RECEIVABLE CHANNEL: DS1-57CH, Z1-38CH (470MHz FOR FULL
    SUBJOINING TV CHANNEL)
    PRE-ADJUSTING PROGRAM MEMORY : 256
    FRAME FREQUENCY: 60Hz/75Hz
    LINE FREQUENCY: 31KHz-80KHz
    ANTENNA: 75 OHM UNBALANCE MODE

Seems pretty good?
    Last edited by sabret00the; 20-10-2006 at 05:11 AM.

Wise Old Owl

Seems good, but there's no way to know what the picture quality wil be like. This seems to be one of those tuners than dosen't connect to the PC and let you record stuff. If that's important to you look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by drvarunmehta
    Seems good, but there's no way to know what the picture quality wil be like. This seems to be one of those tuners than dosen't connect to the PC and let you record stuff. If that's important to you look elsewhere.
    very imp point there but I dont need to record tv and anyways one of my friend uses a techcom tv tuner,actually he suggested me the brand!!

whatever it is- internal or external,dont buy any low end stuff from tech-com,frontech,pinnacle,etc
    when u invest,invest wisely on a haupage or compro series!
    so,that's it-folks!!!

Wise Old Owl

If your friend has used it and can assure you that the image quality is good, I don't see how you can go wrong spending just 1000 bucks on this.