Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control
Menu

digit

 

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control

  1. #1
    Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5 club_pranay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    640

    Default Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control

    I have a Sony Vaio VGN series Laptop. Originally shipped with Windows 7 x64 Home Edition(OEM). It had Fn keys combination to control volume and brightness. A nice overlay would show up on the screen to show current levels
    Fn + F3: Volume Down
    Fn + F4: Volume Up
    Fn + F5: Brightness Down
    Fn + F6: Brightness Up

    Few months back, after a HDD failure I had to install Windows 7 professional(Retail). Now, even after installing all the Sony Vaio drivers, the brightness control is totally disabled. Volume control works but without any onscreen overlay.

    Latest Update: Recently I Purchased windows 8. Now the volume control has a different overlay(on the top left part) but brightness control is still not working.
    Any Ideas on how to fix this?
    Popular Gadget Deals
    Do a favor for a complete stranger today...

  2. #2
    Sony " VA" "IO" kARTechnology's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    I'm beside of my neibour's house, in my house, which is on Eath in Solar System in Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    801

    Default Re: Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control

    Quote Originally Posted by club_pranay View Post
    I have a Sony Vaio VGN series Laptop. Originally shipped with Windows 7 x64 Home Edition(OEM). It had Fn keys combination to control volume and brightness. A nice overlay would show up on the screen to show current levels
    Fn + F3: Volume Down
    Fn + F4: Volume Up
    Fn + F5: Brightness Down
    Fn + F6: Brightness Up

    Few months back, after a HDD failure I had to install Windows 7 professional(Retail). Now, even after installing all the Sony Vaio drivers, the brightness control is totally disabled. Volume control works but without any onscreen overlay.

    Latest Update: Recently I Purchased windows 8. Now the volume control has a different overlay(on the top left part) but brightness control is still not working.
    Any Ideas on how to fix this?
    Are you able to change brightness from control panel?


    I had a vgn series laptop with vista and installed 7, it was very difficult for me to get fn keys working but I got it working and maybe I can help you
    GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2HP~TRANSCEND 1GB MICRON 2GB~AMD Athlon 4600+ ~CORSAIR CX430V2~VIEWSONIC VA1918wm ~NO UPS, PURE SINEWAVE AMARON iACE~INTEX 2000Watt 2.1 SPEAKERS~LOGITECH Media Keyboard~EPSON L110~CANON LIDE~ZEBRONICS Peace~SEAGATE 1TB+500GB|PIONEER VSX-916~MISSION SATELLITES~DAINTY 300SPP CUSTOM SUBWOOFER~AIRTEL HD~SONY BRAVIA BX300|VAIO VGN-CS17G|SONY XPERIA X10~SONY XPERIA M~CYBERSHOT T70~PLAYSTATION 2~HANDYCAM DCR-TRV460E|TRANSCEND 32GB, 16GB~HP 8GB SILVER~SANDISK 2GB~SANDISK 16GB ULTRA SD|BEETEL LANDLINE~GIGASET A490|OGENERAL

  3. #3
    BMG ftw!! d6bmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    6,703

    Default Re: Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control

    Install keyboard hotkey driver. It should b included in the driver bundle. Or download it from product's official page.

  4. #4
    Been There, Done That!! ShankJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control

    Quote Originally Posted by d6bmg View Post
    Install keyboard hotkey driver. It should b included in the driver bundle. Or download it from product's official page.
    .. You can even try from the battery settings option..
    If i could actually 'Speak My Mind!!', i would be in deep ****..

  5. #5
    Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5 club_pranay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    640

    Default Re: Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control

    Quote Originally Posted by kARTechnology View Post
    Are you able to change brightness from control panel?


    I had a vgn series laptop with vista and installed 7, it was very difficult for me to get fn keys working but I got it working and maybe I can help you
    Yes. I can control the brightness through settings. Let me know what you did. I appreciate your help.

    Quote Originally Posted by d6bmg View Post
    Install keyboard hotkey driver. It should b included in the driver bundle. Or download it from product's official page.
    I particularly installed the VAIO® Event Service and its subsequent updates from the driver's page. nothing helped

    I am going to try this tutorial (http://blog.komeil.com/2009/07/fn-f5...sony-vaio.html) i'll update if it helped.

    Thanks guys
    Last edited by club_pranay; 09-02-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    Do a favor for a complete stranger today...

  6. #6
    BMG ftw!! d6bmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    6,703

    Default Re: Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control

    Then you may try to reinstall them and see what happens.

  7. #7
    Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5 club_pranay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    640

    Default Re: Keyboard Keys - Brightness Control

    Quote Originally Posted by d6bmg View Post
    Then you may try to reinstall them and see what happens.
    I did it.
    Problem Solved!!
    Here's what i did.
    Key is to install these in the EXACT order.
    1. Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device Driver (SODOTH)
    2. Sony Shared Library (SOASSL)
    3. Setting Utility Series (SOASUS)/VAIO Event Service (SOAVES)

    Here's what Sony eSupport website says on the Sony® Notebook Utilities download page:
    Sony® Shared Library: Unless stated otherwise, this file must be installed BEFORE the Sony® Notebook Utilities in order for it to work properly. This update is required if you have performed a clean install of the Windows 7 operating system (i.e., installed from a commercial, off-the-shelf, version rather than using the Recovery Wizard or Recovery Media).
    Thanks guys
    Do a favor for a complete stranger today...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •