Camcorder vs. Digital Camera with HD movie capability
Menu

digit

Thread: Camcorder vs. Digital Camera with HD movie capability

Right Off the Assembly Line

Default Camcorder vs. Digital Camera with HD movie capability

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a digital camera with good zoom, good MP, compact size and with HD movie capbility.

I have shortlisted Panasonic TZ10 based upon the suggestions from learned members on this forum.

I am now thinking why would one buy a camcorder if he has a camera like Pany TZ10 which ic capable of HD movie recording and comes so handy.

This is an important consideration for me because if Camcorders offer any serious advanatages over cams like TZ10 in terms of video capability then I may have to buy a camcorder in future and rethink my decision on TZ10 which can be replaced by another camera with better still-image capability but inferior video quality because my video requirements will be taken care of by the Camcorder.

Let me tell you that GPS capability of TZ10 is of no use to me.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Camcorder vs. Digital Camera with HD movie capability

Check Nikon P100 and P110. These two are better than TZ10 IMO. and they do FullHD recording.

I would personally check the video quality of a camcorder and digicam. There are phones with 12mp and 720p video recording etc but that doesn't mean that it will replace digicam market.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 running cm10.1 nightly, Samsung Omnia W, Thinkpad T430 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, 160GB SSD, 14" 1600x900,9cell battery). Desktop: AMD Athlon X2 7750 BE, 4GB DDR2, 1TB HDD, 2600XT, 19" LCD

what I know for sure is that digicams have a bit of shuttering effect in video recording...also they record very poor video with too much grain at night.

A camcoder have better night video shooting with face detection, better light sensors, longer zoom and they have better setup to record video(holding in hand)
    Nikon D7000,55-200,55 Micro,50,Tammy 17-50,Sigma 150-500 ,tamy 90 micro
    Yougnou YN-465 flash , Vanguard ESPOD 203AP, YN603-N3 flash trigger,Lowepro 200 AW, Benro A29T+M234RC head,reflector
    My flicker link -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/34748095@N07
    Xperia ZL+Sony XB30 ,MMX Funbook & Samsung 550P-S05

Camcorder is a dedicated video recording device. digi cam is a dedicated photo shooting device. video capture is a secondary function of a camera but it does not perform the task as good as a camcorder.
    My Artwork>> www.niku4186.deviantart.com || http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/chit-chat/147200-artwork-thread.html
    PLAYSTATION FANBOY || PSN: niku4186 >> PSP || PSVITA || PS2 || PS3 || PS4 || PC >>AMD A4 5300 3.4GHz ::GeForce GT640 1GB :: 4GB DDR3 :: CX430v2 :: CM K380 :: Win8Pro
    Music Gear>> iPOD Classic 6Gen+Sennheiser 408 || Yamaha Pacifica 112......Twitter>> @miku4186

Continuous autofocus, ability to add accessories(microphones, lights, noise filters etc), good file format(not much compression) favour the handycam. If you want HD video recording on a camera then there is no better thing than a video capable DSLR. Though it again won't come close to video camcorders but atleast you can produce excellent videos at a fraction of cost. For e.g the Nikon D31000 retails for around Rs.29K & supports full HD.

Don't expect a digicam to record good video. It will be good for casual use.
    [B]ShutterTux - Photography, Linux & Life![/B] : http://shuttertux.wordpress.com

camcoder are very poor if in case you want to click a photograph,,, dey are only meant for video..

buyin a digicam is a better option.. u will get perfect picture quality and a nice video recording.. it is serving ur both purposes..
    it also depends on ur usage too either professional / casual.... if u like recordin video more than clickin pics camcoder is right option for me..
    oderwise digicam will give u enough video quality bt d condition is u mst have an extra battery wid u coz video recording in digicam consume a big chunks of battery..

Right Off the Assembly Line

appreciate the responses of all of you.

While it is quite clear from your responses that Camcorders would provide better video quality than digicam (else they would be out of business ) My question is, how good they are as compared to Camcorders for video shoots...

While Sujot says there is significant difference, pulkit says there is not much difference...
    While I understand that answer to this question would differ based on an individual's perception but can we all agree that digicams would provide decent (I mean decent) enough video quality or not?

If digicams cannot provide decent enough quality then I would prefer a Nokia N8 PLUS a good Camcorder... Nokia N8 would suffice for my picture needs and Camcorder would take care of video needs... Reason for replacing Digicam with Nokia N8 is that Nokia N8 being a multi function device (with great camera capable of even HD video), I would need to carry only one device instead of 2 while going on vacation... though I already have a LG KS20 (windows based) but it's camera doesn't meet my photography requirements

I request and welcome your thoughts on the above.

Sujoy and Pulkit, Gollum and Cool G5: though you have already given your comments... I would request you to elaborate your response in the light of my thoughts above

thanks for your time.
    Last edited by brijeshtr; 20-11-2010 at 11:39 PM.

yeah sure.. nt an issue.. btw whtz ur budget?? for camcoder or digicam..

n i gave such opinion coz i m using Sony W55.. its only 7.2megapixel...
    bt in high resolution(1 of the 3 modes) video recording it gives me good quality.. m quite satified with it.. and even u will be.. its better dan ne video recording done from mobile n if nt better den atleast its equal to quality to dat..

Almost all the digicams coming in >15k range will provide you decent enough quality video recording ! Whats your budget and intended pattern of usage ?
    Wats the Favourite Mathematical Function of DIGIT FORUM ????

[s]Its "A SINE WAVE"[/s] constant

[s]Y ??

They Both keep going "UP AND DOWN, UP AND DOWN............" !!!!!!!![/s]