Few days ago rumours surfaced that Apple is working on an electric car that will supposedly “change the landscape and give Tesla a run for its money”. Now fresh rumours about Apple's electric car have started to gain traction, stating "several hundred" employees are working on Apple's car project, internally known as Titan.
Reuters reveal Apple is researching on parts and production methods, focussed on electric and connected-car tech along with exploring the option of automated driving.
"Fully automated driving is an evolution. Carmakers will slowly build the market for autonomous cars by first releasing connected and partially automated cars," Reuters quotes an auto industry source as saying. "Apple is interested in all the potential ways you can evolve the car; that includes autonomous driving."
The Wall Street Journal reports Apple had set up a secret lab for developing an electric car. The lab was set up late last year soon after Apple announced its latest wearables and iPhones.
The electric car project is going to be a huge shift in focus for Apple, which is now exploring new technologies other than the iPhones and iPad. Apple's contact less payment, Apple Pay, has reportedly also gained traction, and is expected to go big on its much awaited Apple Watch.
As far as the car goes, Apple might be preparing for a future competition with Google, which has already revealed a fully functional self-driving car.
Other Popular Deals
- Mahindra E2O at Auto Expo 2014Auto Expo 2014: Car Tech in Volkswagen Passat
- Mercedes Benz S-Class at Auto Expo 2014BMW i8 at Auto Expo 2014
- Tech in Range Rover Sport at Auto Expo 2014Tech in Hyundai Santa Fe at Auto Expo 2014
- First Look: 2017 Maruti Suzuki DzireBiggest upcoming car launches in India for tech enthusiasts...
- Tech in Range Rover Evoque at Auto Expo 2014Best cars under Rs. 10 lac for tech lovers
- Tech in Renault Koleos at Auto Expo 2014