Shortly after rolling out the Windows Phone 8.1 update for Lumia devices, Microsoft will be reportedly launching the much awaited Windows Phone 8.1 lockscreen app in a few days.
The new Windows Phone 8.1 lockscreen API will have to be installed separately, and is not a part of the OS. The app will make Windows Phone more customizable, and users will be able to add themes to their device’s lockscreen, along with new visuals and animations that include diagonal-sliding text.
The app will work with devices with over 1 GB RAM and will only support English language settings. Windows Phone head Joe Belfiore announced that the beta version of the new Windows Phone 8.1 lockscreen app is “almost here,” and will arrive in “perhaps a week.” He added that their has been a delay in the feature’s rollout as Microsoft has added an unnamed feature and ran into some issues.
Microsoft unveiled the Windows Phone 8.1 OS at the BUILD 2014 and has started rolling it out for Lumia users, along with the new Cyan firmware update. The update brings an improved lock screen, changes to the start screen, a new action center and a beta of Microsoft's virtual Assistant Cortana.
The Cyan firmware update will bring improved features to apps like Creative Studio, Nokia Camera and Storyteller. Microsoft Mobile says that as a part of the update Nokia Camera will get “a simplified user interface with one-tap access to edit and share pictures, and full-resolution zooming and re-framing.” Users will also be able to access Creative Studio 6 directly from the Camera Roll.
Microsoft recently announced that the company will be laying off 18000 people as a part of its restructuring process and has killed Nokia X Android smartphones project. Microsoft devices chief Stephen Elop added that the company wants to focus on Windows Phone only and "plans to launch low cost Lumia devices by shifting select future Nokia X designs and products to Windows Phone devices".
Source: joebelfiore (@joebelfiore)
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer