Earlier this year, messaging service WhatsApp had announced that it will roll out voice calling feature for its users. According to new images leaked online, the feature is expected to be launched soon.
Androidworld.nl has published alleged screenshots of a build of the WhatsApp app that offers voice calling. According to rumors, the build is may be getting tested by employees and will be included in the official build when it's finally announced by the company.
The screenshots show separate screens for dialing a voice call to WhatsApp contacts, call logs and ongoing calls. Another interesting feature leaked in the images shows call recording and playback. However, it is difficult to verify the authenticity of the screenshots and WhatsApp has not confirmed that it's testing it via beta builds.
In September voice calling feature was spotted on Whatsapp's iOS app in the update released for iPhone on September 8, which added several new features including improved location sharing and fast camera access. Users who have updated to the new WhatsApp iOS app are getting a new pop-up message, which reads, "WhatsApp requires microphone access to send Voice Messages, record Videos with sound, make and receive Voice Calls."
WhatsApp CEO Jan Kuom had announced the voice calling feature in February, post the company's Facebook acquisition. India which has over 70 million WhatsApp users, will benefit from the voice calling feature as WhatsApp executives in the past have stated that the popular messaging app will always remain free in the country. The feature will be inline with other messaging app like Line, Skype and Viber which already offer free voice calling. Android, iOS and Windows Phone also offer free voice calling through internet via Hangouts, FaceTime and Skype.
Other Popular Deals
- Best Alternative Apps for your Android PhoneThe 10 best job hunting apps on Android
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer